Error displaying SCORM package

Error displaying SCORM package

by Devin Roush -
Number of replies: 22
Hello all!

I am having a bit of a problem getting SCORM packages to display once loaded into Moodle. The setup process is working fine, but once I actually click to view an uploaded package, I get "Page cannot be displayed" and JS errors.

Attached are two screen shots that will hopefully help in finding a solution to my problems. I will attach the actual SCORM package that I'm using in a subsequent post below.

I am using IIS 6.0, PHP 5.2.5, and Moodle 1.9.1+ (Build: 20080604).

Everything else on my Moodle site is running perfectly.

Any and all help to my problem is most appreciated!

Thanks,
Devin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Devin Roush

Re: Error displaying SCORM package

by Devin Roush -
I am unable to load the SCORM package here on the forum as it exceeds 100 KB. If anyone is willing to give it a look in order to troubleshoot my issue, please email me and I'll email you the package.

Droush@aaaohio.com

Thanks so much!
In reply to Devin Roush

by Devin Roush -
Is there anyone out there who can help?

Any input is appreciated, even if it's just an idea of things to check.

Thanks so much!
In reply to Devin Roush

by Piers Harding -
You really need to upgrade from 1.9.1 - there are a lot of changes that have gone into mod/scorm in the last 6 months.

Cheers.
In reply to Piers Harding

by Devin Roush -
Piers,

I upgraded to the latest build just the other day and am still getting the same results as before.

I have tried this with slash arguments both on and off and it seems to make no difference.

Any ideas as to what I might check?

It almost seems like this might be an IIS issue, but I'm not sure, again, what to check or modify. If anyone can offer an idea, I would be most grateful!

Thanks,
Devin
In reply to Devin Roush

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Devin,

It does look like it is a course issue. Have you tried launching the course in a new window instead of on the same page?

What did you use to create the course? We have encountered many tools that do not do a good job of creating clean SCORM courses and have often cleaned up the resulting code to make it work.

Ron
In reply to Ron Meske

by Devin Roush -
All,

Thank you, firstly, for your help and suggestions. It's very much appreciated.

Alright. I have attached screen shots of what my sample SCORM package does when loaded regularly (Add Activity --> SCORM/AICC) and so that it will open in a new window (Add Resource --> IMS Content Package).

When loaded regularly I am getting "No input file selected." I tested this with one of the SCORM packages already posted on this site as a working module and got the same result.

When loaded as a resource and opened in a new window, I am getting the "Page Cannot be Found" error.

I have loaded Firebug into Firefox (the browser I've been using to test). I am, however, unsure of exactly how to use it. Any direction would be appreciated.

Also, our Education team has been using mostly modules already posted on here for testing. One member did try using UDUTU to make a package, though. They are hoping to be able to create packages using Articulate Studio, Camtasia, and Flash.

Richard, I am going to check into the slash arguments link that you posted. Maybe that will lead to some kind of revelation.
In reply to Devin Roush

by Ron Meske -
Hi Devin,

Two ideas. First, let's make sure you are performing all the correct steps for a SCORM package:
  • Create a SCORM package as a zip file and verify that the imsmanifest.xml file exists and is not in a sub-folder of the zip file.
  • Create a new course using the SCORM Format
  • Upload the packaged file in a zip format
  • Once uploaded, select "Choose" next to the zip file containing the SCORM package and complete the information in the course
Another thing to check is the actual address of the "The page cannot be found." You can do this by right-clicking on the page and selecting "View Page Info". This may point to why the page is not being found.

Ron
In reply to Devin Roush

by doug hinkle -

I use Articulate Presenter 09 and have had problems loading SCORM courses also. I have found a way around it but have not thuroughly tested it to make sure everything works. I output the entire course from Articulte to an unzipped folder first and then zip that folder. After I upload it into Moodle, I select extract from the options to the right which creates a folder with the same name. I then select and open the folder that was created from the extracted file. In the folder I select choose from the options to the right of the imsmanifest file. That will let the course be created and run.

I have another problem in that it once it is installed, it runs so slowly that it is unusable. On a local install, it seems to work fine but on a hosted server it is just far too slow to be of use. We are currently looking at other solutions for our LMS since the SCORM modules are the main reason we are implementing one.

In reply to doug hinkle

by Ron Meske -
In response to your statement that the Articulate course runs slow, have you checked the files it is creating. It can be creating very large files which would take a while to download and cause the course to run slowly over the internet. To verify that it is the Articulate files and not anything Moodle is doing to slow the course down, I suggest publishing your course without SCORM support and upload to your hosted site outside of Moodle and try to access it.

Just a note on hosted site, we have noticed that shared hosting servers can be very slow, compared to a dedicated or VPS.

Ron

In reply to doug hinkle

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
<BLATANT PLUG>
Hi Doug, in the off-chance you find yourself with a budget to get a SCORM LMS that suits your needs....you could always use that budget to pay a Moodle Partner to improve SCORM so it does suit your needs.... (just a thought!) (btw - I work for one!)
<END BLATANT PLUG>

SCORM performance is something I would like to see improved! - especially around MDL-17115 (which I mention in my latest blog post)

I also plan to look at MDL-16271 as part of 2.0, (but be very careful with any patches provided there, as they have a few issues related to security/configuration)
In reply to Devin Roush

by Piers Harding -
As Ron has mentioned too - judging from the screenshots that you attached, it looks like your SCORM package is throwing a JS error in course10509.html. Sorry - I didn't notice the attachment to the forum post, or I would have picked up on it earlier.

You can try using FireFox, and the extension Firebug to get further details on the JS error, also you can check whether all assets, including JS include file are being loaded too.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.

In reply to Devin Roush

by Richard Enison -
DR,
  1. Why not try PH's suggestion of using Firefox with Firebug to get more info on the JS error, and post the results here?
  2. I have seen conflicting reports on whether slasharguments work with IIS. But I definitely remember reading that SCORM ignores the slasharguments setting and uses the slash argument form in any case. That could be the problem. See SCORM FAQ#slash_arguments_warning_when_I_add.2Fupdate_SCORM_obects_in_my_course.
RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Devin Roush -
Richard,

I looked at the link you posted. Basically, if I'm reading it correctly, it's telling me that I'm up a creek since I'm using IIS 6.0?

*Sighs*

Thoughts anyone?
In reply to Devin Roush

by Richard Enison -
DR,

Not necessarily. True, it says the workaround is for IIS 5 and earlier, but before that it says that the problem exists in "earlier versions of IIS". Earlier than what? I know not. Perhaps you could ask the writer of that FAQ, Dan Marsden, co-maintainer of the SCORM module and moderator of this forum.

RLE

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
IIS 6 with slasharguments should work with newer versions of Moodle - early version of Moodle 1.5 don't work from memory, but I think the latest version of 1.5stable does. (and so should 1.6 and higher!)

there's a server health check that does some checking on the availability of slasharguments in your admin folder called health.php
eg http://yourmoodlesite/admin/health.php

run that page and see if you get any slasharguments errors - if you don't, then slasharguments probably aren't your particular problem.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Devin Roush -
Alrighty,

It DOES appear to be an issue with slash arguments. When I run the health.php page, it is telling me the following:

Health Center

Health Problem Solution

Uploaded files: slasharguments disabled or not working
Slasharguments are needed for relative linking in uploaded resources:
  • slasharguments are enabled in Moodle configuration
  • slashargument test failed, please check server configuration
Solution
Slasharguments are enabled, but the test failed. Please disable slasharguments in Moodle configuration or fix the server configuration.

IIS:

• try to add cgi.fix_pathinfo=1 to php.ini
  • do NOT enable AllowPathInfoForScriptMappings !!!
  • slasharguments may not work when using ISAPI and PHP 4.3.10 and older
So, I added the "cgi.fix_pathinfo=1" line into my php.ini file. That didn't seem to do anything.
I have no idea where the "AllowPathInfoForScriptMappings" parameter is located to be turned on or off?
I am using PHP 5.5, but what is ISAPI and how can I check to see if it's installed and being used on my server?

Perhaps we're closing in here?

In reply to Devin Roush

by Richard Enison -
DR,

AllowPathInfoForScriptMappings is an IIS setting. See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/b9368427-8c20-42fb-af4e-85c4b7ff3b49.mspx?mfr=true. ISAPI is a mode of implementing PHP under IIS, as opposed to CGI or FastCGI. See http://www.visualwin.com/PHP-ISAPI/.

How did I find these links? Google.

RLE

by Devin Roush -
Alright,

So I've disabled the "AllowPathInfoForScriptMappings" parameter for IIS. No effect on SCORM and I'm still getting the failed health test for slash arguments.

So, the only thing left (according to the suggestions made by the health.php file) is to look into this issue of slash arguments not working with ISAPI.

Is there a way to run php without using ISAPI. Any suggestions?
In reply to Devin Roush

by Dan Marsden -
you did do an IIS reset after changing the php.ini right?

also - did you change the "right" php.ini file? - check to make sure by looking at the phpinfo page under admin > server somewhere

I haven't personally seen issues running PHP under ISAPI mode on an IIS 6 box - but it's the way .php files are sent to PHP for compilation - check out the installation instructions you used for installing php. - btw if you're using fastcgi, you're not using the ISAPI method....

..if you're not using fastcgi - after you've got this all sorted you should definately investigate it's use - I've seen massive performance gains in certain areas over the standard isapi method. - Just be very careful with the timeout values you set in the fastcgi config. - the default ones are too low.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Devin Roush -
Problem: Fixed
SCORM: Working
Mood: Flipping Happy

So I was about to re-install PHP using Fast CGI and I noticed a post on the PHP install forums about getting the "No Input File Selected" error.

I had defined a root directory in my php.ini file which was the culprit in all of my problems.

I commented out the following line and once I restarted IIS, all was well in the world.

doc_root = "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot"

^ - Nasty little bugger isn't he?

Thanks to everyone for all of your ideas and suggestions. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it!

Sincerely,
DR
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Devin Roush

by Dan Marsden -
Great! - Well done! - Richard/Devin I would really appreciate it if either of you added something related to this to the documentation wiki for others that might have a similar issue. Thanks!
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Richard Enison -
DM,

My posts in this thread were mainly clarifications about IIS issues, not SCORM. I'm far from an IIS expert, but I know even less about SCORM (so far). But I'm studying.

RLE