Wiki 2.0

Wiki 2.0

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 10
(warning, this is a double post, but I beliebe this concers the wiki forum and this one... sorry about that)
Hi there,
this week we have started to develope the Wiki for Moodle 2.0. Which is basically NWiki (same features, look and feel, etc) rewriten from scratch ( so the code will be neat and tiddy ).
And we need some help to make this rigth, so we never need "to do another wiki ever".

Help Wanted:
- code revision: By the end of this week we will have the first functional release, just a wiki skeleton with a dumb parser, but with the full database and basic operations implemented. I beliebe that security issues need to be addressed here before we start building features.
- markup and page behaviour - There will be a team working sole on the parsers (ewiki for backward compatibility, HTML(whateever editor) wiki, and Mediawikilike markup, and a new VerySimpleWikiFormat. We will use Unit tests to guide de parser development and be sure the things work as they are suposed to. We need you to send (as reply to this post for instance) wikipages with the page content (wiki format) and how is it suposed to be viewed (XHTML). If you want your wikis to render rigth in Wiki 2.0 : here's your chance.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Ludo
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: Wiki 2.0

by Martín Langhoff -
Where is the SCM(CVS, GIT) repository? During early development, my best recommendation is to keep posting your plans here (even if some bits don't get much reply) and to make sure each commit is a good, readable commit. See Andrew Morton's 'The Perfect Patch'.

At least, that's how I try to do my development smile and I will try to find the time to review your work. A good strong wiki is something the XS needs...

Some people have said that it is a bit "noisy" and they are right, but on the other hand, you always know what I'm up to and what my plans are for the next few days WRT code. And I've always ended up with good review from peers (some posting publicly, others via private emails).

If you are planning on keeping your development in a separate repo until it's ready (and only then putting it in CVS) it's a very good idea to use GIT (or Mercurial) as they are far more useful for reviewing and polishing the code. I used GIT for the big accesslib rewrite, and could not have done it without it.

HTH...
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Thanks for the advice Martin,
we are already working with a separate repo with GIT, its available in here
Hope to see you soon in Barcelona.

by Jordi Piguillem -
Hola Martín,

you can browse code where Marc said, but if you want to checkout entire project try:
 git-clone git://potato.lsi.upc.edu/git/wiki20

DFWikiTeam, Pigui
In reply to Jordi Piguillem

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I was quite curious and wanted to take a looksie at the code .. but the git repo doesn't seem to be online right now ("Connection refused" on potato).

Will try again next week..!

Mat
In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

by Martín Langhoff -
Yup. Refused here too.

Offtopic... Do you think that is a Debian Potato machine? That was leading edge... when I moved to new zealand... 8 years ago smile

A bit of clicking around leads to...
http://potato.lsi.upc.edu/projects/wiki20/browser

but now way to reach git proper...

by Jordi Piguillem -
Somebody (Ludo) rebooted the server and git-daemon didn't started. I did it manually.

I'm sorry, our Potato server is not a Debian. It's more geek.
potato
It our Darth Potato Mac Mini Server!!!! smile

DFWikiTeam, Pigui
In reply to Jordi Piguillem

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
How I can checkout?
git://potato.lsi.upc.edu/git/wiki20 doesn't work...
I'm using TortoiseGIT.
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Ludo,

great to hear that wiki 2.0 is on the way! I had problems with earlier wikis because of students copy/pasting stuff from MS Word or the internet before editing it down over several sessions to suit their needs. Trouble is, I've since wiped all that content and I can't tell how much of the problem was due to the wiki parser and how much was down to the HTML editor. My suggestion would be to check how the new editor (TinyMCE?) handles text and tables copied from a standard word doc e.g. does it auto-clean the tags before saving or must it be done manually as with the HTML editor button.