Noodle - the NLN Materials Browser for Moodle

Noodle - the NLN Materials Browser for Moodle

by Robin Skelcey -
Number of replies: 34
To all UK Moodlers...

Today we're launching the much-anticipated NLN Materials Browser for Moodle (or "Noodle" for short) to public beta. After a very simple one-off installation - Noodle allows you to provide to your tutors access to the entire library of NLN Materials, simply, safely and without any of the usual hassles of file downloads/uploads and Scorm imports.

As many within the UK educational community will know, the NLN Materials are a huge library of high-quality, interactive, Scorm-compliant resources, developed using government funding over the last 5 years, and available free for any LSC-funded educational organisation in the UK. The NLN Materials have had a long association with Moodle. Indeed, the IMS Repository module now included in Moodle was originally written to accommodate local repositories of the NLN Learning Objects. While many practitioners have and do use the materials very successfully with Moodle, the large number and size of the materials, and the complexity of maintaining and effectively exposing local repositories makes current solutions less than ideal. (See this page for our recent review and guidance on the various methods for using the NLN Materials in Moodle.) Since taking over responsibility for the NLN site last year, we've been looking at various ways of bringing down the barriers for usage, and hope this contribution to the Moodle community will help.

Much more information, and the download, is available at the Noodle project page on the NLN site.

Do feel free to post any Noodle-specific suggestions, problems, etc. here - even if its just to say you've got it up and running. (Any day-to-day enquiries concerning registration etc. or queries about specific LOs should still be addressed to the NLN help desk.) This is a beta release, so please note the "known issues" listed on the project page. There may be a limit to the level of support we can give for Noodle itself, since we've developed it in 'free-time' as it were, with no budget - plus we're not experts in Moodle - but we'll do our best, and I hope the community can help too.

Best wishes, and happy noodling...

Robin Skelcey
Technical Director
Xtensis ltd./NLN Materials Service
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Robin Skelcey

Re: Noodle - the NLN Materials Browser for Moodle

by Edward Higgs -
Hi,

On Moodle 1.8.3 I have successfully added the NLN Learning object resource
and I am able to browse the NLN materials and add an NLN LO to a Moodle course.

However when clicking on the link generated, the resource "window" (new windowor same window) is blank.

(My Moodle uses PHP 5.2.5 and I have tried both IE7 and Firefox 3 browers )

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Eddie

In reply to Edward Higgs

by Robin Skelcey -
Hi Eddie. Could you grab the URL of the blank window and send that to me by email or private message? Have you tried other Learning Objects too (preferably from a different batch/subject? Note we haven't tested on 1.8, so it could be a version-specific issue...

Best wishes,
Robin.
In reply to Edward Higgs

by Richard Goddard -
Hi

Yes, the same problem occurs in 1.8.2. The preview is also blank. But in 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 all seems fine - well done Robin, an excellent addition for Moodle users in the UK.

Richard Goddard
In reply to Edward Higgs

by Russ Lymer -
Hi added noodle and get the following after adding a resource We are using moodle 1.8.2. Any help appreciated

INSERT INTO mdl_resource ( COURSE, NAME, TYPE, REFERENCE, SUMMARY, TIMEMODIFIED ) VALUES ( 713, 'Corrective Makeup Techniques Study and Assessment', 'nln', '{CE9EC5B6-2D59-421F-AC22-A098D91B7F1F}', '', 1222182848 )
  • line 1425 of lib\dmllib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 217 of mod\resource\lib.php: call to insert_record()
  • line 16 of mod\resource\type\nln\resource.class.php: call to resource_base->add_instance()
  • line 268 of mod\resource\lib.php: call to resource_nln->add_instance()
  • line 222 of course\modedit.php: call to resource_add_instance()

Could not add a new instance of resource
In reply to Russ Lymer

by Robin Skelcey -
Hi Russ. I suspect this might be because no defaults have been set for resource display. (If that is the case, you'll see no values in the Advanced Window options while adding an NLN (or file) resource.) When that happens, nothing is added to the "popup" and "alltext" fields, and those fields cannot be left with "null" values, so this error may result. I'll fix this in the next release, but if I'm right, all you need to do to fix your installation now is follow these instructions from the Noodle readme.txt:

"Finally, you may wish to visit the "resource defaults" page, to review/edit the default properties for resource pop-up windows (and whether to use a pop-up or embed the resource within the Moodle interface). If you have never visited this page and saved the changes, you may find that no defaults have been set at all. To visit the resource defaults page, from your Moodle home page find the "Site administration" block and navigate through the menu to Modules/Activities/Resource."

Even if you don't change any values there, make sure you click the Save Changes button.

Hope that helps - I may be on completely the wrong track, but worth a try. Do please let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,
Robin.

by Lewis Carr -
Hi Robin.
I followed the advice above but I got the same error.
Sorry.
In reply to Lewis Carr

by Robin Skelcey -
Hi Lewis. OK lets be a bit more drastic. Open up mod/resource/type/nln/resource.class.php and locate the _postprocess routine at line 25, and replace the current code with the following:

function _postprocess(&$resource)
{
global $RESOURCE_WINDOW_OPTIONS;
$alloptions = $RESOURCE_WINDOW_OPTIONS;

$resource->alltext = '';
$resource->popup = '';

if ($resource->windowpopup)
{
$optionlist = array();
foreach ($alloptions as $option)
{
$optionlist[] = $option."=".$resource->$option;
unset($resource->$option);
}
$resource->popup = implode(',', $optionlist);
unset($resource->windowpopup);
$resource->options = '';
}
}

Those two new lines should ensure the two fields are set to empty strings rather than NULL. Looking at it more closely I'm not sure why others (and me) aren't getting the same error... Possibly something specific to a database version/configuration? Anyway, hope this helps.

by Lewis Carr -
Hi Robin,
Yes the changed code did the trick!!
Maybe it has something to do with IIS?
We are changing to Apache next week.

Many thanks,

Lewis

by Barbara Lawrence -
Robin
Thanks for this - I was getting the same error as Lewis and your code did the trick for me too. (I am running Moodle 1.8.1 and Apache...)

In reply to Barbara Lawrence

by Robin Skelcey -
Good show. I've updated Noodle on the project page to v0.3, incorporating this change.
Best wishes,
R

by J B -
I have set this resource type up in 1.8, but when I click on the "Browse" button I get no popup, no activity whatsoever. Javascript is enabled.

I suspect this is related to MDL-9943, but if anyone has a fix I'd be grateful.
In reply to J B

by J B -
OK, I have fixed it - it is also related to MDL-9262.

To fix the NLN resource type, open /mod/resource/type/nln/resource.class.php and replace the following from line 164:

$searchbutton = $mform->addElement('button', 'browsebutton', get_string('nln_browse', 'resource').'...');
$buttonattributes = array(
 'title'=>get_string('nln_browsedescrip', 'resource'),
 'onclick'=>"return window.open('../mod/resource/type/nln/browse_start.php', 'nlnbrowse', 'menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,location=yes,resizable=yes,width=750,height=500'); "
 );
$searchbutton->updateAttributes($buttonattributes);
with the following:
$searchbutton = $mform->addElement('button', 'browsebutton', get_string('nln_browse', 'resource').'...',array(
 'title'=>get_string('nln_browsedescrip', 'resource'),
 'onclick'=>"return window.open('../mod/resource/type/nln/browse_start.php', 'nlnbrowse', 'menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,location=yes,resizable=yes,width=750,height=500'); "));

Thanks for this excellent add-in - now I just need it to work in 1.6 ...

In reply to J B

by Robin Skelcey -
Hi James,
Many thanks for your work on this - looks like a fairly tricksy issue, and a problem only when using PHP 4. I'll try out your solution in our installs of 1.8 and 1.9 and update the codebase, hopefully this week. Good luck with 1.6 - do let me know how you get on.
Best wishes,
Robin.

by J B -
Hi Robin

Yes, you're right - but the fix from Eric Bollens seems to be robust.

I am pleased to say that I have successfully rewritten (or crudely hacked) the code so that it works in 1.6.8 - it doesn't automatically populate the name and description as 1.6 isn't that advanced and I don't want to start rewriting the core code, but it does allow this very desirable functionality to be used.

The code can be downloaded from here if anyone wants to try it, I'd be pleased to know if it works for anyone else:

zip.gif nln_for_1.6.zip

by Robin Skelcey -
We've just updated Noodle to 0.2 beta. This resolves the issue described above, and makes Noodle compatible with Moodle versions 1.8 and 1.9. Those who have already installed just need to update the file /mod/resource/type/nln/resource.class.php with the one in the new download. Please see the updated readme file in the package for more info. The download is available from the project page.

The Known Issues list on the project page has also been updated to include a mention of navigation inside the browser. We know we need a better scheme here, as there's currently no obvious way to return from a Learning Object page back to a search result. (You can however go back to the starting page by clicking the "nln materials" logo in the top-left of the window, though that's not obvious...) We'll be adding a better system to the browser soon. Such an update will be done on our server, so there'll be no need to update your installation.

As always, any reports of problems or successes will be gratefully received.
R

by Richard Heath -
Fantastic work! Had the same problems as above, it was producing a 500 error when attempting to display the LO. Now works beautifully in 1.8.2. Thanks for your efforts and thanks for getting it fixed for 1.8 so quickly.

by Tim Chubb -
Looks Good smile

Only commenst i have are add a back button to the browser, and add a mrCute style search box on the first page.

On a separate note, are there any plans to create a converter script? e.g. take existing package file names associate them with the GUID used on nln hosted materials and allow a simple conversion from locally hosted to remote hosted packages?

Tim Chubb
E-Learning Systems Administrator
Stafford College
In reply to Tim Chubb

by Robin Skelcey -
Hi Tim.
Thanks for the feedback.
On the back-button - absolutely. The need for better return links is among the 'known issues' on the Noodle project page, and will be fixed (on the server) soon. In the mean time, you can add "toolbar=yes" to the list of attributes of the pop-up window (line 164 of resource.class.php) though that isn't much use if returning to the window after already choosing an LO. Also note clicking the "nln materials" logo takes you back to the start page, though that's not obvious.
On the idea of a text search box, its true we've gone with a slightly unconventional approach. As with the main site, we're encouraging users to click on a subject first - which we've designed to be as unambiguous as possible. Users can then use the text search box provided to do live filtering. Having said that, we will be offering full text search soon, as an alternative way to search (and the main site already offers this in IE6 and Firefox, using their integrated search bar).
On a converter script - yes that would be a great idea (and similarly, once could be written for anyone who has linked directly to the "learner URL" of an NLN LO). Realistically, we won't be able to take on that task any time soon, though we'd be happy to provide full support for anyone who wants to, and provide the mapping list (package names to GUIDs) required.

Best wishes,
Robin.

by Karen Williams -

Thank you so much for a wonderful tool! We've tried so many times in the past to use these brilliant resources, but because of the fiddling around, people don't bother.

I'm positive that with the objects all being in one place that you can access easily, without fuss, will encourage people to use them more.

Well done and THANK YOU!

In reply to Karen Williams

by Hellmuth Sole -
Dear all, this is a fantastic resource and I congratulate you all on using it. I've seen however that it's open to a select group of organizations, mainly in the UK. Is there a way to install this plugin without being a UK-based education organization?
In reply to Hellmuth Sole

by alexis alexander -
We would also like to use this here at a Community College. Would that be possible?
In reply to Hellmuth Sole

by Robin Skelcey -
Thanks for your enquiry. The module itself is released as open source under the GPL, so you can use the code as you wish. However, the NLN Materials are currently available for access to UK educational institutions only, and Noodle itself is a simple interface to the NLN site; when configured with a password it seamlessly links to - but does not include - any search/browse functionality or any content. The original agreement between the LSC (who funded the development of the NLN Materials) and the content suppliers applies to distribution in the UK only, and the suppliers maintain the rights to international distribution, which would likely be on a commercial basis. This may happen through a future version of Noodle, but I'm afraid there are no immediate plans for such an arrangement. I'll post any updated information I have on this here.

Best wishes,
Robin.

by Yasser Mahmood -

Hello Everybody,

We had the Noodle NLNs beta version working in Moodle 1.9.1 but we recently upgraded to 1.9.3 and moved to a new server and the option does not show up in the 'Add resources' section. I've checked the folders and all the files and settings are still present.  I'm a bit puzzled, can anyone help please??

Thanks,

Yasser

In reply to Yasser Mahmood

by Robin Skelcey -
Hi Yasser. Sorry for the delay in replying. Does it not show up in the menu at all, or does it show up as "resourcetypenln"? If the latter, its because the change you made to Moodle's language resource file when first installing have been overwritten in the upgrade. This is easily fixed by repeating Step 4 of Noodle's readme file which adds back Noodle's language strings

by Karen Williams -

Thanks, I'd done exactly that and your fix solved the problem!

Karen Williams smile

by Dan McMahon -
A quick progress report from Xtensis...

Noodle v0.3 is currently available for download from the Noodle project page. This version contains some bugfixes from v0.2, but if your installation is working there's no need to download it.

All Noodlers, however, will be interested in our next update. Currently our technical team is hard at work on several oft-requested features, which all being well should all make it into the next release:
  • Google-style text search of the materials, alongside the existing browsing by category
  • A fix for the "focus dragging" issue, where the user has to click the 'Browse the NLN Materials' button twice because Moodle expected the Name field to be filled
  • A Back button!
I'm using a beta of the new version from a localhosted moodle, and all the above are working great. Stay tuned for a release date for the next version! Oh, and if you have any problems or questions regarding Noodle, NLN or related things, drop us a line at the NLN help desk, or post them to this forum thread.

Regards,

Dan McMahon
Client Support Manager
Xtensis Ltd. / NLN Materials Service

by Richard Whitfield -

hi

I've just put the latest version of Noodle onto our new moodle v1.9.7 and whilst I can browse through the materials ok, when I click "add to moodle" I get the following error (I had no problem with our older versions of noodle and moodle however)

"P

Sorry, but this window cannot find the original resource edit page in Moodle, so it can't update its values. Please close this window and return to Moodle to try again."

I've made all the adjustments you recommend in resource.php but to no avail - has anyonelse had any problems and if so how do I fix it

Cheers

Richard

Macclesfield College

In reply to Richard Whitfield

by Matthew Hope -

Hi Richard,

We've got the same issue at our College after upgrading to Moodle 2.0.  Did you find a fix or is there anything in the tracker?

Thanks,

Matt

by Russell Robshaw -

Hi

I'm having problems interacting with NLN resources from within Moodle (version 1.9.7).

I've installed Noodle 1.1 following the instructions in the Readme file and have added an NLN Learning Object using the 'Add a resource' drop-down menu.

However, when I open the NLN resource and click on any of the links on the 'Table of Contents' nothing happens.  Although the item in the 'Table of Contents' changes colour when I hover over it and then permanently changes colour when its 'pressed' nothing changes on the screen.  Even the 'exit' button doesn't work, even though it appears to be pushed when I click on it.

Any advice please?

Thanks

Russell

In reply to Russell Robshaw

by Russell Robshaw -

I've now sorted the 'problem' – I didn't realise that I had to open the resource in a new window for it to work! big grin

In reply to Russell Robshaw

by yazie alfy -

Thank you for your post. I have the same issue when The NLN resource is previewed within NLN website, it works fine but when the material is opened within a moodle course (Version 1.9.13), the left navigation doesn't work. I used Noodle 1.0

It's strange because this material used to work fine when it opens in the "same window" but it looks like this option can't be selected  anymoresad ..

Thank you again. It saves me some time in figure out myself.Yes

by Tony Butler -

Hi folks,

I've recently converted the Noodle resource type plugin into a Moodle 2.2 activity module.

This is now available to download from http://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=mod_nln if you want a zip file, or https://github.com/tonyjbutler/moodle-mod_nln if you use Git.

Cheers,
Tony 

In reply to Tony Butler

by Tony Butler -

Forgot to mention that the module supports the restoring of NLN resources from Moodle 1.9 backups and automatically converts existing resources during a site upgrade from Moodle 1.9.

Tony