Fordson attempts to streamline the process of going from the homepage to enrolling in a course so that learners can engage with the content quickly and efficiently. Fordson provides many functional enhancements to the homepage and navigation of Moodle in theme administration area. Customization, unique style presets, and a variety of useful tools built into Fordson makes it ideal for K-12 education, colleges, and businesses.
Instructions and Overview of Settings
Check out the latest documentation and information on Fordson settings and presets:
View Fordson Documentation
Introducing our newest preset: Dearborn Public Schools
Our newest namesake preset is something we were working on for our own site and is now part of the Fordson 1.6.0 theme. Sleek, stylish, and built to appeal to K-12 and beyond. This preset goes full-width with content, only uses custom course images on the main course page, and has unique styling touches throughout. Be sure to checkout the Fordson Documentation for the best theme settings for each of the presets.
Version 1.6.4 New Feature: Frontpage My Courses sort by Last Access
You can now sort frontpage My Courses by the last access for a more personalized experience. The most recently accessed courses will be displayed first in the list. Watch the video below.
Course Management Panel
This panel appears for teachers so that they can manage the course. This is a replacement for the links commonly found in Course Administration block. We took those links and grouped them so that they are logically displayed and a teacher can see everything at a glance.
Students can quickly access important course information in the "This Course" dashboard. It contains a course description, teacher contacts, grades, course completion status, and activity links.
Custom Login Page
Create a custom login page to market your site and provide information to students. In order to activate the custom login page you must force users to login. To customize the page you can find all the settings and information on the Fordson Administration page under Appearance > Themes > Fordson > Custom Login Page. Add text, upload photos, choose icons and more can all be customized right from the theme admin pages.
Fordson supports a slideshow, custom Icon Navigation buttons, Marketing tiles, custom text boxes, alerts, and more. Install the optional "Easy Enrollment" plugin and you can enroll students to any course directly from the homepage using a 6 digit code(Auto-generated) or a QR Code (Auto-generated). The auto generated enrollment codes are displayed on the course page for teachers. There is a button at the top of the page.
Course Topic Progress Report
Utilize course completion in a course and set the display options to "Show one topic per page" and Fordson will show a progress bar based on the topic completion status.
Customize Activities and Resources
Want to showcase most used or top activities? Fordson makes it easy! Not only can you create a special list of activities you can also control the ordering and even hide activities from teachers. Managers and Site Admins can see all activities.
Custom Course Category Display
We made it possible to switch how courses in your site are displayed when viewing the course categories. Pick from 4 different layouts to further customize the look and feel of your Moodle site using Fordson.
7 Style Presets
Style presets allow you to instantly change the look and feel of your Moodle site. We have a preset for corporate users, K-12, University, e-Learning, and our default universal preset. Be sure to checkout our documentation which recommends theme settings for each preset. Fordson Documentation
Clean, Simple, Efficient
- Customizable navigation: Nav Drawer, My Courses, Homepage Icon Bar, Add Activities & Resources panel, Teacher and Student Course Dashboards can all be customized in Fordson
- Customized Homepage that has creative features when needed but can be used to create a minimal, focused, and distraction free homepage
- Out of the box a clean, refined, and stylish appearance with minimal configuration
- Built for all screen sizes
- Seven Preset Styles that instantly change the look and feel of the site. Continue to enhance the look of your site by changing colors, adding logos and images, slideshows, and custom textboxes
- Easy Enrollment plugin integration takes students from the homepage to learning with course enrollment codes.
Easy Enrollment Add-On
Install the Easy Enrollment add-on and Fordson will display a new enrollment form on the homepage. This new form will allow a student to enter a 6 digit code and instantly be enrolled into the corresponding course or group within the course. This allows a student to go from the homepage to a course in seconds! It will even generate and read QR Codes for enrolling elementary kids by simple waving a paper in front of the computer.
Theme Notes and Information
- View the latest documentation explaining the best settings for each preset: Fordson Documentation and Information
- In order to use the enhanced homepage you must make the SIte Home the default homepage for all users. It will not display if your homepage is set to Dashboard. Appearance > Navigation > Default Site Homepage.
- If upgrading from version 1.3.1 to 1.4.0 you will want to adjust the Header Image Height setting for Fordson. This should be set to a minimum of 400px as a starting point for you to adjust the custom site and course background images. The layout changes in 1.4.0 require a larger height to look nice since the image is put behind the content.
- VERSION 1.6.1 PRESETS - In this release we changed our default preset to be Dearborn Public Schools. We renamed the previously named default presets to:
- default.scss = K-12.scss
- default_x = K-12 Vertical Block TItle
- default fullscreen header image = K-12 Fullscreen Header Image
Elements and certain functionality of Fordson would not be possible without the following users and plugins:
- Richard Oelmann -Header Images & Social Icons, student course overview functionality - https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_waxed
- Mary Evans - Morecandy (Sideway Header) Preset SCSS
- Jose Miguel Dager Montoya - Tiled Course Display on frontpage and course categories
- Alexander Bias - Navdrawer Remove Defaults - https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-local_boostnavigation
- Carlos Escobedo - Navdrawer Add Menu Items - https://github.com/cescobedo/moodle-local_navigation
- Gareth J Barnard - Theme Essential feature display courses by last access - https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_essential