Quiz fault-tolerant mode
This plugin can be turned on for particular quizzes in your Moodle site, providing they user How questions behave: Deferred feedback. The goal is to make sure that students never lose any work, even if the network or Moodle server is a bit dodgy.
With this plugin enabled, when the quiz is attempted:
- All the questions are downloaded at the start, so that you can instantly switch between pages of the attempt with no further contact to the server.
- When the response to a question is changed, it is saved behind the scenes (like standard quiz auto-save).
- The the session gets lost, a pop-up appears where you can log in again, then you can continue with the attempt without reloading and losing your unsaved work.
- At the end, when you submit, the submission is processed asynchronously, so that if an error occurs you can try again, or continue your attempt.
- If auto-saving fails, then the warning shown is much less dire, since it does not matter so much.
- Whenever there is unsaved data, you get a warning if you try to leave the quiz page, so you don't accidentally lose data.
- In case you never re-connect to Moodle, then a download link is provided, so you can save your responses to a file.
- There is then a screen where Editing teachers or Managers can upload those locally saved responses to be processed.
- The downloaded responses can be encrypted, if required.
This plugins was created by the Open University, for use in exams. We hope you find it useful.
[WARNING: if you are using a Moodle version older than 2.7.5 or 2.8.3 - not recommended - you will need to apply some patches.]