Activities: Treasure Hunt
Outdoor treasure-chases with geolocation.
This module for Moodle allows to organize outdoor-serious-games with your students. TreasureHunt implements a browser-based play application (no need to install any native app) and a geographical editor for encoding the stages of the game. The game can be configured with a range of options that makes the module to be very flexible and useful in many situations: individual/team, moving/desktop-marking, scoring from time, position, completion, etc.
- Install from the plugins menu or manually unzip, and copy into Moodle's /mod folder
- visit administration page to install module
- configure default settings for your site
- use in any course as wished
- create an instance of the activity
- create one or more roads to be followed by your "hunters"
- create a set of stages in each road.
- draw the location of the stages with the built-in GIS editor. Optionally enter or generate a QR code to be scanned to discover that location.
- write smart and educational clues that point to the next stage. Optionally, write a multiple-choice question to double-check the discovery of the stage
- select the modality of the treasure hunt: individual or grouped (you will need to create the groups and groupings of students).
- adjust the grading method and penalisations.
- let your students play the game.
Grading of the module
The module will produce a grade for every student (or team) running the hunt. The proposed schema is the following:
- Grade from time (absolute or relative): the winner of the hunt marks the best time. The grade is calculated by interpolating the finishing time being 50 the end time of the hunt and 100 the best finishing time. The players that did not finish the hunt receive a grade under 50 calculated just by the number of riddles solved.
- Grade from riddles: each player (or team) scores proportionally by number of riddles solved, being 100 when a road is completely solved, and 0 when no riddle is solved.
- Grade from position: The score is calculated by interpolating the position in the ranking, being 100 the score for the first player and 50 for the last player. The players that did not finish the hunt receive a grade under 50 calculated just by the number of riddles solved.
For all these schemas optionally it can penalize by location failures and wrong answers.
Penalization is expressed in % of the grade. Per example, if penalization is 5, a player with 3 failures will penalize his grade by 15%, that is, will receive 85% of the grade calculated by the rest of the criteria.
- - v1.2.22b Update player jacvascript to be compatible with Moodle 3.8
- - v1.2.22 UI for QR Scanner in edit form improved. QR scanner fixed for Xiaomi Redmi S2. Player UI improved in question section.
- - v1.2.21 Fixed a minor bug in event reporting in play mode. Icons resized.
- - v1.2.20 Fixed compatibility with PostgreSQL.
- - v1.2.19 Fixed validation error when filemanager is conditionally disabled.
- - v1.2.18 Fixed compatibility of GIS editor with Edge browser when using jqueryui > 1.11.
- - v1.2.17 Auto update timer in GPX tracker.
- - v1.2.16 Bug fixed: exception when completing an activity set to COMPLETION_MARKING_MANUAL.
- - v1.2.15 Full compatibility of QRScanner with IOS 11 (iPhone && iPad).
- - v1.2.14 Fix camera preview sizes. Implement switching cameras.
- - v1.2.13 Change QR scanning library to fix the firefox regression.
- - v1.2.12 Fix for compatibility with Moodle 2.9.x.
- - v1.2.11 Link to online tutorial added to edit page.
- - v1.2.10 Fix support to long texts in clues. Left panel shows a truncated text.
- - v1.2.9 Incompatibility with IOS 11 fixed.
- - v1.2.8 Clues with long text were not readable in lateral panel in the player. Text moved to History Page.
- - v1.2.7 Compatibility with MSSQL
- - v1.2.6 Custom image maps. Validation form fixed.
- - v1.2.5 Non-geographic images as base of the game.
- - v1.2.4 Fixed conflict with Essential theme.
- - v1.2.3 Custom image maps. Support for WMS and uploaded images.
- - v1.2.1 SVG images render with vector quality.
- - v1.2.0 Custom uploaded images. Now the map can be customized in several ways:
- Custom overlays from uploaded images or WMS layers.
- Custom base maps from uploaded images or WMS layers.
- Override default base maps with uploaded imgaes or WMS layers.
- Disable geographical tools to use images not related to the terrain.
- Release v1.1.0 includes support for QR codes. It is very useful indoor (i.e. museums).
- Release v1.0.0 first production-ready release.
Note on QR Codes support
- The stages can be solved by location or by scanning a QRCode. It is useful indoor or where the GPS gives a bad precission.
- The module includes a webRTC-based code scanner that works at least in Chrome and Firefox browsers on Android. Some specific android phones may have problems with scanning codes from the browser.
- The module includes a pre-test procedure if the game includes QRcodes.
- You can use existent QR labels or generate your own directly from the edit-stage page.