How to use
- Add a new PDFParts to a course.
- Configure all of the standard settings: name, description etc.
- 'Select PDF file' setting - upload a PDF file.
- 'Display' setting - choose the display type (currently, only 'Force download' and 'Open' are implemented).
- 'Pages' setting - it is similar to the setting from any Print dialog that allows you to select a page or page ranges for printing. The values must be set in a format like 2-4,7,8,10-12.
Now when a student clicks on this resource link he gets only the pages specified in 'Pages' setting.
The Teacher can add only one PDFParts instance to a course and set it to dynamically choosing of page ranges.
The module accepts an optional GET parameter called 'pages' which will override the corresponding base setting.
Suppose the Teacher added a PDFParts module to course with the id: 4720. Then he can build links in this format:
in order to provide the students with the precise pages where the needed information resides, for example the page with the solution to an exercise, or a page with the definition of a term.
- If the 'Pages' setting is empty then the whole document is served to user.
- The 'Open' display type may not work in all browser.
- Not all PDF files of version higher than 1.4 are processed without errors.
The PDFParts module was created based on an idea that came to me after seeing the PDF Page Limiter (mod_pdfpager) module by Geoff Eggins.