What does this plugin do
The debate is a moodle activity that allows students to debate on a given topic inside moodle.
It is a usual activity in any face to face class that moderators or teacher or even employees are divided into group and
they are asked to give their opinion or debate on a given topic. This plugin is the approach to take that whole scenario inside moodle.
Use debate activity in a course
Adding a debate activity is simple, just the usual way, go to the course, turn editing on
and add the activity. A debate activity will have three parts:
1. A name of the activity (a usual moodle activity name).
2. The topic of the debate (the actual topic where the users will debate on).
3. Activity description, a usual moodle field where you can upload pictures or other descriptions which can be viewed
on either of the course page or the debate page or both. There is a checkbox while adding or deleting a debate
instance allows to set up this feature.
Create teams in debate activity
You can create multiple teams for a debate activity for positive and negative side for a group of users.
You will need to use the groups feature inside the course, create groups and use those groups as a part of each team.
Each team can have:
1. A name of the team.
2. Number of responses allowed for the team.
3. The side of the team, either positive or negative.
4. The selection of groups for each team will determine which user goes to which team.
Debate activity allows you to control the response from the users
These are the following options available when it comes to accepting response from the users:
1. Unlimited response - users can add as many positive and negative response as they want.
2. Allow one response on one side - only one response is allowed on any one side, either positive or negative.
3. Allow one response on each side - allow anyone to respond either on the positive or negative side.
4. Use debate teams - use teams feature instead which will control these for individual teams.
Debate allows the control of activity completion of the module
These are the types of completion you can use:
1. User viewing the debate activity (and/or).
2. User submitting the required number of debate responses.
(for example, the user will have to submit 2 responses to complete this module)
Debate logs all types of activities inside the debate instance
The following events are logged in moodle log:
1. Visiting a debate instance.
2. Adding a debate instance.
3. Updating a debate instance.
4. Deleting a debate instance.
5. Adding a debate response.
6. Updating a debate response.
7. Deleting a debate response.
The debate also introduces capabilities for users and other roles inside a course
These are capabilities available:
1. Add a new debate instance: allows users to add a new debate activity inside the course.
2. View debate content: View the debate page where the actual debate will happen.
3. Delete any debate response: Allows moderators or teachers to delete debate responses from users.
4. Delete own debate response: Gives the user the capability to delete their own response.
5. Update own debate response: Gives the user the capability to update their own response.
6. Manage debate teams: Gives a teacher or manager the capability to create, update or manage teams.
Automated testing support
Debate activity includes automated testing support for testing any issues from the code.
I am continuously adding PHPUnit tests to the plugin, the coverage of the test will increase from time to time.
Debate activity includes privacy API to maintain GDPR compliance.
Want something more? Let's talk about it
If you have something you want for your organisation to be implemented, please create an issue in the link below:
I am always happy to talk about your requirements and discuss further.
Track progress of any current and future developments
Any type of contribution, suggestions, feature request is welcome.
Please create an issue in GitHub to discuss before doing a pull request.