In previous versions of the Marking Manager, the cronjob was used to calculate the number of activities that require grading in all courses. For sites with many courses and/or students, this sometimes meant that the cron job would run for a long time and, as a result, put a strain on server resources. In this latest version, we have made the following changes to address this problem:
- The cron job method has been replaced with a “Manual” option, which allows users to refresh the block only when needed.
- When counting activities, the block will only scan courses where the user has teaching privileges.
- It is now possible to only include courses that 1) reside inside preselected course categories AND 2) have the block installed at the course level. Previously, it was one or the other.
- There is a new option that allows admins to only see courses where they have teaching privileges.
- There is a new option to skip hidden courses when counting activities
- Various bug and format fixes
Even with these changes, calculating ungraded activities across many courses is still a resource-intensive task. We will continue to work on improvements and we welcome the input of other developers that have other ideas/suggestions on how to increase efficiency.
At the site level (front page) the Marking Manager block lists all Assignments, Forums and Quizzes that require grading. At the course level, the Marking Manager has 2 parts:
Block: provides quick overview of the number of Assignments, Quizzes and Forums with the following status:
- Requires Grading
- Not Submitted
Clicking on these status links will open the marking Interface. The block also contains links to a custom Progress Report (see screenshot below). At the bottom part of the block, a status report shows the number of students that:
- have not logged in for x days
- not submitted actities for x days
- have a overall grade less than x percent
Marking Interface: allows teachers to grade Assignments, Quizzes and Forums within a single interface. This interface consists of a left section, where activites are selected, and and right section, where activties are graded. See screen shots below for more info.