Activities: Etherpad Lite
Etherpad Lite 2.4.0
This is a module, which integrates etherpad-lite in Moodle 2.3 - 2.4
- Add / View / Delete Pads
- Users have the same name & writing color in all pads
- Moodle Import / Export support
- optional guest allowance
- It supports etherpad-lite servers, which can only be accessed through the API (access only through Moodle)
- It can check the HTTPS certificate of the ep-lite server for full security (man in the middle attacks)
You need an etherpad-lite server, which is running on at least the same 2nd-level-domain as your moodle server.
On the github page you'll find all information you need, to install the server: https://github.com/ether/etherpad-lite
We recommend to use the etherpad-lite version 1.2.7
It's also recommended to use the latest stable release of nodejs (http://nodejs.org/)
we are using nodejs 0.6.12, installed over apt-get for our productive server. But we test new ep-lite versions always with this node version, before updating productive
When you want, that the server is only accessible via Moodle, then i recommend to install ep_remove_embed over the ep-lite admin interface. This removes the embed link.
To access the admin area, uncomment the user section in settings.json
Working ep-lite installation
- Ubuntu 12.04
- apt-get nodejs, npm, git, nginx, abiword, make, g++
- etherpad-lite from git (v1.2.7)
- ep-lite settings.json:
- "abiword": "/usr/bin/abiword"
- ep-lite plugin: ep_remove_embed via admin interface
- upstart script
- nginx as reverse proxy with https
Copy this repository to the moodle subfolder: mod/etherpadlite
open your admin/index.php page and follow the instructions
- Server Url from your etherpadlite server Make sure, that your moodle server can access this URL
- ApiKey: this is stored in the file:
APIKEY.txton your etherpadlite server
- Padname: this is optional and maybe just for debugging the databse
- Cookie Domain: Enter the domain as described
- Session elapse time: How long should one session be valid?
- Https Redirect: This redirects moodle to https, so that the user feels secure
(later this should be used to delete sessions on the etherpadlite server)
- Verify HTTPS cert: This lets curl check, if the https cert of the etherpadlite server is valid, to prevent man in the middle attacks
- Guests allowed to write?: As described
tested with Moodle 2.3-2.4
- Version build number
- Version release name
- Can be updated to
- 2.5.0 (Build: 2014051300) (2014051300)
- Stable version
- MD5 Sum
- Supported software
- PHP 5.3, Moodle 2.3, Moodle 2.4, PHP 5.5
- This is the latest release for Moodle 2.3
- This is the latest release for Moodle 2.4
Version control information
- Version control system (VCS)
- VCS repository URL
Default installation instructions for plugins of the type Activities
- Make sure you have all the required versions.
- Download and unpack the module.
- Place the folder (eg "assignment") in the "mod" subdirectory.
- Visit http://yoursite.com/admin to finish the installation