Moodle in English

Posts made in Moodle in English

Moodle in English -> Assignment Student sees "Expired" label on Assignment, cannot submit -> Re: Student sees "Expired" label on Assignment, cannot submit

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What seems to have happened here is that the assignment initially had a Due date and a Cut-off date. The student missed the cut-off date, and was granted an extension. However, the original cut-off date still applies to the extension and cannot be changed when granting the extension. So when granting an extension, it is possible to set a new due date that is after the cut-off date, which seems incorrect and misleading for lecturers. If the student attempts to submit before the extended due date, but after the cut-off date, then they can go into the assignment, but won't see the "Add submission" button. (As a side-effect in the "Adaptable" theme, the "Expired" label is displayed below the assignment link in the course page.)
As this point I was called in and turned off the Cut-off date on the Assignment, thinking it would solve the problem, but this change didn't get applied to the cut-off date already set on the extension for the student, so they still couldn't submit. I can understand this, although it would be nice if any change to the cut-off date was automatically applied to any extensions too.

Moodle in English -> Assignment Student sees "Expired" label on Assignment, cannot submit -> Re: Student sees "Expired" label on Assignment, cannot submit

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Michael, thanks for this hint, you are absolutely correct, the "Expired" string is generated within the "Adaptable" theme (see screenshot below).
However, I'm still baffled because the student can go into the assignment, but doesn't see an "Add submission" button, even though the cutoff date is not set, and I've given him an extension anyway. 

Moodle in English -> Assignment Student sees "Expired" label on Assignment, cannot submit

by Eoin Campbell -
A student has encountered a strange problem in a course, where they see an "Expired" label on an assignment, see screenshot below. I can't figure out why this message is appearing, or even where it is coming from. The student is properly enrolled on the course. The assignment is visible to a group, but the student is a member of the group. I tried removing any cut-off date, granting an extension, and re-opening the assignment, even though he never submitted, but it made no difference. The assignment allows for unlimited submissions. I tried duplicating the assignment but it appears in the duplicate, so I created a new assignment from scratch, and that resolves the immediate problem, but is a nuisance for grading and course completion.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? 

Average of ratings: -

Moodle in English -> Book Content Search in Block Activity -> Re: Content Search in Block Activity

by Eoin Campbell -
You could use the Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Book) plugin to export the book into Word, and then quickly search in Word to find occurrences of the terms you want to change. Each chapter in the book is converted to a "Heading 1" style in Word, so you can  then go back into the corresponding chapter in the book inside Moodle, and edit it. You would have to repeat this process for each book though. If you have access to Microsoft OneDrive, it has an excellent text search facility, so if you exported all of your books into Word files in a OneDrive folder, you can search for the terms across all books at once.

If this is a regular occurrence, a better approach would be enable and configure the Global search facility on the Moodle site, but this requires significant resources. This would allow you search for terms across all content,  whether in books or elsewhere, directly within Moodle.