Moodle in English

Posts made in Moodle in English

Moodle in English -> Quiz How to import questions in Quiz from MS Word file -> Re: How to import questions in Quiz from MS Word file

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Microsoft Word stores questions in a format called Office Math Markup Language (OMML). On import to Moodle using the WordTable plugin, the questions are converted into MathML. The conversion is very good, but not perfect. To display MathML correctly inside Moodle, you must use the MathJax filter (Site administration > Plugins > Filters > MathJax), and insert "<math" into the Additional equation delimiters field.
To edit MathML inside Moodle, the default Equation Editor built in to the Atto text editor is not enough, I think. You probably need to install a 3rd-party equation editor like WIRIS.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Moodle in English -> Quiz How to import questions with custom fields? -> Re: How to import questions with custom fields?

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
It seems to me that for question meta-information of this nature ("Difficulty", "Blooms taxonomy", "Subject", etc.), it would be better to use the standard question Tags facility rather than defining custom fields. The Tags are searchable in the Question selection user interface.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

Moodle in English -> Quiz Can I fix one question in Quiz -> Re: Can I fix one question in Quiz

by Eoin Campbell -
You could try the following approach.
1. Put the questions you want shuffled into their own category in the question bank, e.g. "Cat A" with 5 questions.
2. Create the section, but don't set the "Shuffle" flag.
3. Add the Description question to the section as the first question.
4. After the description question, click the link to Add > a random question, and select the category "Cat A". Set the "Number of random questions" field to 5, so that all the questions in the category will be included.
I believe that this will force all 5 questions to be presented to each student, but the order will be different in each case.
If you don't want to put them into a separate category, you could use tags instead or as a complement.
From a question organisation perspective, it is better to include the Description question within the category. I found that the selector for random questions does not include "Description" questions, which surprised me, but is quite convenient in this case.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Moodle in English -> Assignment Student sees "Expired" label on Assignment, cannot submit -> Re: Student sees "Expired" label on Assignment, cannot submit

by Eoin Campbell -
What seems to have happened here is that the assignment initially had a Due date and a Cut-off date. The student missed the cut-off date, and was granted an extension. However, the original cut-off date still applies to the extension and cannot be changed when granting the extension. So when granting an extension, it is possible to set a new due date that is after the cut-off date, which seems incorrect and misleading for lecturers. If the student attempts to submit before the extended due date, but after the cut-off date, then they can go into the assignment, but won't see the "Add submission" button. (As a side-effect in the "Adaptable" theme, the "Expired" label is displayed below the assignment link in the course page.)
As this point I was called in and turned off the Cut-off date on the Assignment, thinking it would solve the problem, but this change didn't get applied to the cut-off date already set on the extension for the student, so they still couldn't submit. I can understand this, although it would be nice if any change to the cut-off date was automatically applied to any extensions too.