Moodle in English

Posts made in Moodle in English

Moodle in English -> Quiz How to upload a quiz (true/false) made with Word -> Re: How to upload a quiz (true/false) made with Word

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Diego,
I presume you are referring to the Microsoft Word File Import/Export (Question Format) plugin I maintain, which allows you import Word files containing quiz questions into a course Question bank. To use the plugin effectively, you must first download and install 2 Word templates from the http://www.Moodle2Word.net/ website. The following YouTube videos will help you install the templates, create questions in Word, and import them into Moodle.
For testing, you can import questions into my test server at www.Moodle2Word.net to check it out. You must register for an account to use this server. After you log in, you are automatically enrolled on the "WordTable Question conversion" course which allows you to import and export questions.
If you don't have the Word file import plugin installed on your own Moodle server, or your Moodle administrator won't install it, then you can still create and edit questions using Word: first import the Word files into my server, then export them into Moodle XML format, and finally import the XML file into your own server. You can also export questions from your own server into XML, import them into Moodle2Word, export them as Word, edit them, and reverse the process.
Word template moodleQuestionStartup.dotm
  • The Word template to assist you in creating questions is at http://www.moodle2word.net/mod/resource/view.php?id=47 on my test server. This template is digitally signed by Technological University Dublin (where I work) for increased security.
  • Note that you can not import or preview questions directly within Word: there are commands to do so in the template, but unfortunately they don't work in Moodle 3.x, and I never got around to removing or fixing them. In the template, the Moodle group is no longer useful and should be ignored.
  • In the template, the Manage "New Question File" is needed to start a new set of questions using the moodleQuestion.dotx template, which contains some required custom properties. The "Add category" command just inserts a new "Heading 1" style, which means that all following questions are put in that category.
  • In the template, the View group contains commands to re-format the questions for printing as a paper quiz, including shuffling and hiding the answers.
Supported Question type issues
  • The All-or-Nothing Multiple Choice (cf. https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_multichoiceset) Question type is a contributed plugin, so isn't installed on your Moodle server by default. Get your administrator to install it in order to import these questions.
  • The Select Missing Words Question type plugin is a standard Moodle plugin, and you can create and import this type of question using the Word template. However, if you want to export this type of question from Moodle, get your administrator to replace it with a custom version that you can download from https://github.com/ecampbell/moodle-qtype_gapselect. This custom version is required to integrate properly with the qformat_wordtable plugin when exporting this type of question into Word format.
Importing images
  • You can insert images in web-compatible format (JPEG, PNG, GIF) into your questions Word file and they are imported into Moodle.
  • Graphics created using the Word Drawing tool are not supported, and neither are images in BitMap (BMP), Windows Metafile (WMF) or other non-web compatible formats.
Exporting images
  • If you export questions containing images from Moodle into Word, then you must open the (.doc) file using Word 2019, Word 2020 or Word 365 (the web app version) in order to view images correctly. Once you save this file in .docx format, you can edit it further using any version of Word.
Handling equations
  • You can insert Microsoft Equation Editor equations into your questions Word file and they are imported into Moodle.
  • In Moodle, you may need to configure the MathJax filter plugin to support MathML. Your administrator must do the following.
    Go to Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Filters > MathJax, and add '<math' as an additional equation delimiter.
  • The plugin does not support the export of MathML equations into a Word file.
Other related plugins
You might also be interested in my other Word to Moodle plugins, which you can install as a set using the Microsoft Word File Import/Export plugin
  • The Book plugin converts Word files structured with headings into multi-chapter books and exports Books into Word. 
  • The Atto plugin imports Word files into text fields via a drag-and-drop interface.  Watch a short demonstration on YouTube, along with a longer explanation of how the template helps you create questions.
  • The Glossary plugin converts Word files into Glossary entries and exports Glossary entries into Word.
  • The Lesson plugin converts Word files into Lesson pages and exports Lessons into Word. Note that this plugin currently only converts content pages, not question pages.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Moodle in English -> Attendance (plugin) Change Calendar Event Title -> Re: Change Calendar Event Title

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I believe the event is given the name of the activity itself, and by default, the name "Attendance" is filled in automatically when you create a new Attendance activity. If you change it to e.g. "Company Law", then when sessions are created, they will use that name instead. Unfortunately, calling the attendance activity by the course name is not very useful. You could consider giving the new activity the course name first, then creating all the sessions so that the events have a sensible name, and then renaming the activity to "Attendance".

Moodle in English -> Quiz Moodle2Word - Drag and Drop Questions NOT inserting -> Re: Moodle2Word - Drag and Drop Questions NOT inserting

by Eoin Campbell -

Hi Frank,
You seem to have an old version of the Word template moodleQuizStartup.dotm. Download the latest version from http://www.moodle2word.net/mod/resource/view.php?id=47. The current ribbon looks like the screenshot below, but note that the commands to import questions directly from Word don't work.