Moodle in English

Posts made in Moodle in English

Moodle in English -> General plugins Generico Filter - a template maker -> Setting a session systems variable in Generico Filter database query?

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am using the GROUP_CONCAT feature of SQL with a Generico filter, and I discovered that it truncates its output at 1024 characters by default. The maximum length is controlled by the session variable group_concat_max_len, so I would like to set it to a higher number and then run a select query in the Dataset field of my Generico filter (see the code example below). Unfortunately this code doesn't work, so I wonder is there an alternate way to achieve this effect?

SET SESSION group_concat_max_len = 2048;
SELECT DISTINCT
    g.name AS "groupname",
    GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT uid.data) AS "members" ...

Moodle in English -> Assignment Assignment file will not convert to PDF during grading -> Re: Assignment file will not convert to PDF during grading

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
My understanding is that Moodle cannot convert a Word or any other file to PDF if there is no Document Conversion plugin enabled. If the student submits a PDF file directly, then I believe Moodle can internally process the PDF file into a sequence of images (one per page). It is these images that are actually displayed in the online grading interface, allowing you to annotate them, not the PDF file itself.

Moodle in English -> Assignment Assignment file will not convert to PDF during grading -> Re: Assignment file will not convert to PDF during grading

by Eoin Campbell -
I've seen this problem occasionally. I believe there are some constructs in Word that may break in other editors, such as anchored images or text boxes. If you save the .odt file back to .docx format, does it work then?
I don't think there is much you can do about it, other than encourage students to submit PDF rather than Word files. If it becomes a major issue you could enforce PDF upload rather than Word.

Moodle in English -> Text editors saving a blank value, not an empty p tag? -> Re: saving a blank value, not an empty p tag?

by Eoin Campbell -
I find that this issue often causes superfluous vertical spacing (via the empty paragraphs) in Label and course section summaries in particular. As if course pages aren't already long enough! My workaround for Moodle 3.9 is as follows (see screenshot below).
  1. In the Atto editor toolbar, toggle the "Show/hide advanced buttons" button.
  2. Toggle the "HTML" button to see the raw HTML. 
  3. Delete the raw HTML.
  4. Toggle the "HTML" button again to show WYSIWYG view. (This step seems to be essential.)
  5. Save the changes to the Label or section (or Description field for an activity or resource where it is displayed on the course page). 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Moodle in English -> Quiz select missing word -> Re: select missing word

by Eoin Campbell -

Hi Karen,

Unfortunately to import Select Missing Word questions created using the Wordtable Word template, you must replace the default code from your Moodle installation (/question/type/gapselect) and replace it with a custom version from https://github.com/ecampbell/moodle-qtype_gapselect instead.