Discussions started by Ethan Z

The db and mysql Linux servers have plenty disk space and free RAM 

Moodle 2.5.3+ (Build: 20131224)

I have been reading here and it seems (please correct me if wrong) that slowness in backups and especially restoring backups started to occur in Moodle 2 especially in Moodle versions of/and after 2.5  (i found many with this issue on Moodle 2.6, and again in 2.7) due to intense use of the database. I see these issues don't seem to have been fixed in Moodle's code.

Error-wise, i've seen the time out error,  and i also have seen no errors and only massive slow response which seems to affect the entire moodle site.

I'm currently looking if there's something to be done on the db server to help this and looking at mysql logs , will report here if i find anything note worthy.

Is there a permanent fix , or temporary things I could do in the meantime?  besides increasing the database server RAM and the app servers Max timeout time?

many thanks!

Average of ratings: -

Hi, i ran out of disk space, my VM isnt allowing me to expand the disk space (whole other story, not what i'm asking here)... 

My plan is to add a new drive, move over all the moodledata content, point moodle to use this new drive which will have more disk space.

Would this in theory work?

Where is the moodledata folder location specified (which config file?) so i could re-point moodle to the new moodledata file location

thanks

I am the admin of a couple Moodle servers. Been running out of disk space. This often happens due to backups teachers make. Asked people to delete their backups but this doesnt happen all the time.  Also we never enable automatic backups so the disk doesnt fill up.

In the old days I used to go into the folder structure on the linux side, track the larger files on the system, find and delete backup files, now i cannot do any of that searching sorting and deletion, because as we all know file names and folders are useless now meant to be understood by the moodle system, and "managed" from the moodle system.  <-- this is where i am challanged, file management tools in moodle that allow me to search, sort by size, then delete any files in the moodle system.

I have read that one can use the file picker to manage files. I am having trouble using file picker to  find, sort, and more importantly select a file then delete it.  I might be using file picker incorrectly.

Where do i access file picker from?  where is the best place/steps to launch file picker as a server/moodle admin?  I have used it but it always feels lacking/limited in options.

Lastly, If there is another solution to manage and delete files besides file picker please do mention it.

Using:  Moodle 2.5.3+ (Build: 20131224) , hundereds of courses, heavily used. The moodle data folder is 150GB in size. .     We are planning on adding disk space but I also want to make sure that I have tools to use to find teachers who post huge files or make many backups and never delete them.  

thank you

I've come across a lot info and am a confused newbie looking for some expert guidance  plz help by recommending instructions  (written or videos) that will allow me to:

Install Apache PHP MySQL and anything else needed for Moodle on a Windows Machine

Ive followed one set of instructions to install php but really am lost i dont know if its installed correctly or not

I'm really looking for a good set of instructions plz

I cannot use a package , each component needs to be installed alone since i am setting up a production server.

thanks for helping out a newbie