Moodle in English

Discussions started in Moodle in English

Moodle in English -> Gradebook Grade alert plugin?

by Brendan Lalor -

Is there a plugin to allow a teacher to specify a grade-threshold below which students will automatically receive email alerts ("Warning: Your course average has dropped below X")? 

My institution is looking for this functionality, which it seemed to me would probably be available as a plugin. 

Does anyone have any leads or pointers on this? 

Many thanks. 

Moodle in English -> Themes [Solved] Adding Specific Custom Menus via Theme

by Brendan Lalor -

Within my state college system, we have specific custom menus shared by all and only those who adopt our "Castleton theme" (it's based on More). So it would be nice if we could just add those menu items to the Castleton theme. I would love to override 'custommenuitems' using code in the Castleton theme, so that these links would be rendered in the custom menu theme-wide. 

Is there a procedure for adding a theme-based override of the 'custommenuitems' array? 

Or a model of the PHP for this? (I have seen lots of models of PHP for adding courses or categories as extensions of the custom menu. But those don't show me how to do the simpler thing I need to do - add a specific set of institutional urls to the menu.)

Thanks for any pointers!

(Edited by Gareth J Barnard - original submission Tuesday, 18 November 2014, 4:28 AM) - Added [Solved]  to title.

Average of ratings: -

Moodle in English -> Themes How to "undockall" blocks in the More theme

by Brendan Lalor -

We seek to include some jQuery in the template of (a clone of) the More theme. 

OUR AIM: to undock any docked blocks at a certain screen resolution. 

The function that does this is called when the little arrow at the bottom of the dock is clicked. But I haven't found how this function is called. It's not "undockall();" I also know a bunch of other calls that don't work. 

Does anyone know how I can call that function?

Moodle in English -> Installing and upgrading help Diagnosis needed: no mail, but no errors hinting why

by Brendan Lalor -

Although we do receive password retrieval email, my students and I are not receiving notifications of forum posts, or mail sent through the system's messaging system via "Participants" >> "Send message."

I have 

(1) left the SMTP settings empty, so Moodle would use PHP mail,

(2) entered credentials for a known-good school SMTP server, and 

(3) entered credentials for gmail SMTP. 

None of these works, and neither the system Log nor the PHP error log show signs of trouble - even though I 

(4) set "Debugging" to DEVELOPER, and 

(5) enabled verbose SMTP debugging. 

Because I am using Moodle 2.6.4, which has some issues with /lib/phpmailer, I have also tried all of the above using the /phpmailer from 2.4.7, but with the same empty results. 

I am hoping someone can either point out what I'm missing, or provide further trouble-shooting steps.

Thank you, thank you!

Moodle in English -> Assignment Show more than the 137-character excerpt on Grading screen

by Brendan Lalor -

At my institution, we have a need to grade hundreds of single-paragraph Assignments at a pop. In "a click-reducing effort to streamline" this process, we would really like to lengthen the 137-character excerpts that show on the Assignment module's grading screen. In our case, we'd like to show the entire submission. Is there a way to do that on a per-course basis

• using a plugin, or
  • using PHP?
We'd like to avoid the off-line grading sheet, although it might prove a viable Plan B. 

Thanks, 
~Brendan 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)