Moodle for Quiz and Reporting

Moodle for Quiz and Reporting

by Prem Shankar -
Number of replies: 2
Hello All:

I am evaluating Moodle for a web-site where I will be having online quizzes and feedback to students based on the response to the quizzes. I am new to Moodle and would appreciate your help with the following points:

1. I see a number of standard features that I would not use. Is it possible to switch off features that I don't need and keep only Quiz and the reporting modules. What are the minimum set of modules that one has to install with Moodle?

2. I need to add metadata(additional properties) to the questions and the quizzes. These could be simple text properties that I need to store with each question in the DB. Does Moodle allow that?

3. When a student takes my Quiz, the questions presented to him would be from a confiurable Query to the database. The administrator would configure the quiery criteria and Moodle will present those questions to the student. Will it require lots of customization?

4. With some of the questions, I would like to store cues/hints, which would also be in the form of Question/Answers. So, essentially, the system should know that a particular question would have a set of cues in the DB. When asked, the user should display the hints to the user.

5. I would like to customize the way student response is stored in the DB. Is it possible?

Thank you very much for reading my post and taking time to answer.

Regards.

Prem
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Prem Shankar

Re: Moodle for Quiz and Reporting

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
1. You can uninstall any of the standard modules apart from Forum. Also, you can enable and disable the modules that are installed.

2. Moodle does not yet allow metadata on questions or quizzes. What are you actually trying to achieve? there may be another way.

3. You should look at the existing add random questions feature, and the way you can organise questions into categories. That will do what you want, unless what you want is really complicated.

4. I don't think this is possible in the quiz. However, you might like to look at the Lesson module. The appropriate chapter of http://docs.moodle.org/en/Using_Moodle_book is a good introduction.

5. Customising the way responses are stored would be a very big change. Why not just make a new report that takes the data as it is currently stored, and just displays it in the way you want. That would be a small change. Or you could consider making a database view, or copying the data to another table on cron.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Moodle for Quiz and Reporting

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Prem Shankar replied by email:

On point 2 about metadata, categories can probably help. But, just curious, if I hire some developer, do you know, if it is possible to add metadata?

It is perfectly possible to add metadata, and this could be done in several ways. That is the problem. Presumably, eventually, Moodle will have a system for adding metadata to other things like courses and activities. Whatever is eventually done for questions should probably fit into the same framework - which does not exist yet.