creating "Registrar" role/function

creating "Registrar" role/function

by Alan Selig -
Number of replies: 3
John (or anyone else):

I am administering a new Moodle program (1.9) at a small theological school. I want to give our registrar the ability to enter new students into the system, register them for classes and handle adds/drops. The number is small so this could be done as individual entries or as a batch addition but I'm not sure how to set up a role for this person that doesn't burden them with all the other administrator functions.

(John - I named you in the greeting because I raised this question at the Moodle Moot in Delhi, NY last week but couldn't remain after your session to get the answer.)
Alan Selig
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Selig

Re: creating "Registrar" role/function

by John Isner -
Hi Alan,
I'm in Oklahoma City at another Moodle Moot, but I'm still checking my mail smile Here is what I would do.

Create a new role called CanAddUsers with just the account-related permissions set to Allow (see screenshot). Assign this role to selected users in the System context (Site administration -> Users -> Permissions -> Assign system roles). When these users log in, they will see a Site administration block on the front page, and it will have just one entry, Users, which will give them access to all the functionality they'll need to register new accounts manually, by bulk upload, etc.

If you plan to have more than one registrar, make sure they don't interfere with each other. You can't enforce this with Moodle, but you can work out a convention appropriate to your institution. For example, Joe registers students A through M and Bob registers students N through Z.

Notice that I didn't call the role Registrar, yet I referred to the users as "registrars." This was intentional. You may later decide to add additional responsibilities to the registrar's job description, and if you do this, do it by creating one or more new roles with a small number of meaningful permissions in each, and assigning them selectively. If you make a single role called Registrar, it will become fat and hard to maintain.

Let us know how it goes.
Attachment CanAddUsers.png
In reply to John Isner

by Alan Selig -
Thanks John! I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it works out.
In reply to John Isner

by Stefano Garuti -
I'm doing right the same thing in my Moodle Installation.
My problem is that we force the use of My Moodle, but in this way when the person who have the CanAddUsers role enters the system he can't see the Admin block.

Can you suggest some workaround?

Stefano