Beginner making modifications

Beginner making modifications

by Nate Baxley -
Number of replies: 1
I needed to change the way the Grades page is displayed to accommodate our layout. We have a fixed width layout and when there are lots of assignments, it breaks out of our display. I changed the grade_view_category_grades and grade_view_all_grades functions so that the Grades heading and the help icon are outside of the table plus I wrapped the table with a div so I could scroll the table within our layout.

The instructor needed a quick fix, so I made the changes directly in the grade/lib.php file. However, I'd like to implement these changes in a way that will let me upgrade without wiping out my changes, and want to make any future changes in the proper way. Can someone give me some pointers on how best to do this or point me to a tutorial on the process?

Thanks so much for any help.

Nate Baxley
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nate Baxley

Re: Beginner making modifications

by Gary Anderson -
Nate:

The best way to do this is to make a patch. This patch can then be applied to other copies of Moodle, including those that have changed a little (except at the location of the patch itself, in which case you will need to hand modify it).

Another advantage of this method is that you can post your patch to the tracker if you think it would be useful to others and want to contribute it to the Moodle community.

A good starting point for this is http://docs.moodle.org/en/CVS_for_Developers

Take care,

--Gary