Using Moodle in Special Education

Re: Using Moodle in Special Education

by Marc Grober -
Number of replies: 0
Yes, I spent a good deal of time attempting to support middle school SpEd students via moodle. For the most part we used Moodle to a) provide access to the audio of assigned texts, b) extend the time students had to complete writing assignments, c) increase opportunities for staff and parents to work with the students on the classroom assignments. Of course, Moodle is also a great way to provide multimedia direct instruction along the lines one might see in Read180 if one spends enough time installing modules and developing curriculum.

Bottom line here I suppose is the degree to which staff in fact gets not only paid to develop additional resources but is provided time so to do, and the nature of the disabilities. "High functioning" in some circles is simply code for not MR while G/LD students may appear quite able to manage without additional supports though that appearance is fundamentally misleading. For example, relying on a medium that is largely visually based and dependent upon reading skills may be problematic for a student legally blind and LD, though the student may be quite capable. Nor do I think trying to make one vehicle "equally accessible" to all persons rationale, and I like such efforts to trying to use a hammer to drive a screw.....