nothing happens september 1st

nothing happens september 1st

by koen roggemans -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Filling the callendar for next school year, I encountered a very strange problem: the entries for september 1st are not shown (and are rather important since our school year starts that date smile )Other dates work like a charm. I repeated several times, but the same result (moodle 1.3.2)

Look at the missing green square and the date of the shown entries

Attachment kalender.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to koen roggemans

Re: nothing happens september 1st

by John Papaioannou -
OK Koen, bug hunting time...

Actually, I believe that this is not a bug, although I may of course be wrong. What I would like you to do is check the following scenario:

Do you have DST there right now? If you do, is it an 1-hour difference? Is your timezone set to normal (which would display "wrong" times everywhere, since Moodle does no DST compensation) or do you have manually changed it to compensate yourself? If you move the events in the future by the amount of DST you have, do they show? What about one minute before that? Do they stay hidden?

If this doesn't give any helpful information, I have another suspicion... but try this one first and tell me.

Cheers, Jon
In reply to John Papaioannou

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Thanks for looking at my problem Jon

We have daylightsavingtime now,  1 hour difference. But 2 hours different from GMT. My site is hosted, so I didn't change anything at the time on the server. But times are right, so daylightsaving must be set on the server.

I have tested a lot and found out that when the activity is between 00:00 and 01:55 it is not shown. When I enter it at 02:00 it shows. But why doesn't it show only the first of every month (I checked august, september and december)

by Bert Demandt -
I don't believe it is a typical Moodle problem, as in our site the calendar functions as it should.
This may not seem relevant, but let me tell you that we are also a Belgian school in what I suppose is a very comparable situation (e.g. hosted site, same time zone).
Although you say there's no need to set the time because the server seems to take DS into account, you might try setting the time zone manually to GMT + 2
In reply to Bert Demandt

by koen roggemans -
Good point: it works, but is not an elegant sollution: it puts me up changing the account of 1130 users. Besides, users can chose their own timezone, so it must work for any timezone. I think Jon can fix thiscool, it's apparentely a bug.

by Hans de Zwart -
I remember writing this somewhere:

If you have everyone on your site in the same timezone use this script in your Moodle to change everyone's timezone at once (it's not linked to from anywhere). http://yoursite/admin/timezone.php

Did you know about this? Would it help you?
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Bert Demandt -
Actually I was referring to changing the timezone in the admin section, not in each or any one's personal profile, but your suggestion sounds like a nifty idea.
In reply to Bert Demandt

by John Papaioannou -
Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say. You can change the timezone in the admin settings, and this will fix the problem for all of your users who haven't manually specified a timezone. Given that even if they have, it must be the correct one, it would solve all of your problems. And even if people had chosen the wrong timezone and it didn't, the timezone.php trick is a definite solution.

Koen, it's not a bug if you can fix it by having the correct settings. big grin
In reply to John Papaioannou

by koen roggemans -

big grin It dit solve the problems. Thank you.

I think it would be an improvement to delete the servertime-option from the admin-menu, since it is misleading. I never had time-problems until now using that option (server is in the right timezone and has daylightsaving.

Thanks all of you again for your help. About the script.. I had it run, so it should now work for all my users smile

In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Hans de Zwart -
Oops!

I remember writing somewhere

should have been:

I remember Martin writing somewhere