Course Settings Permissions

Course Settings Permissions

by Ian Farmery -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

I am guessing this will need some PHP modding, but I am just wondering if there is a way of disabling some of the course setting options for teachers.

I still want Teachers to have access to some of the settings but there are some I would like greying out/disabling so that only administrators can change these. I am thinking about the Category, Full Name & Short Name.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Ian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Farmery

Re: Course Settings Permissions

by John Isner -
The Teacher role does not contain permission to change the course category, so if your teachers are able to do it, they are getting the permission from elsewhere. However you raise a legitimate issue with the names.

The Teacher role has moodle/course:update ("Update course settings") = Allow. This allows them to change all of the other settings on the Edit course settings page, including the course name and short name. So currently, it's all or nothing. I think there's a strong use for providing a separate capability for the course name and short name, say moodle/course:updatecoursename.

When a course is created by an administrator or course creator, they must enter the category, name and short name. In fact, these are the only required settings. This implies that the names (like the category) are the concern of the creator, not the teacher, and the teacher should normally be prevented from changing them (i.e., the Teacher role should have moodle/course:updatecoursename = Not set).

I just created MDL-15262 "Teacher should normally be prevented from changing the course name and short name" and referenced this discussion.
In reply to John Isner

by Ian Farmery -

Thanks John

I have checked and the Teachers cannot change the Category (I hadn't checked previously just assumed!).

In reply to Ian Farmery

by John Isner -
That's good. But meanwhile you have the problem with teachers being able to change course names, so go and vote for MDL-15262 (create an account in the tracker first if you don't have one). I think it's a good idea, but maybe the developers will disagree.