Can some language files be deleted?

Can some language files be deleted?

by Myrrh Lynn -
Number of replies: 3
Just curious ... for those of us who KNOW our moodle will be used for one language and one language only, is it possible to shrink the moodle upload by first deleting the extraneous language files?

Since we are a small US elementary school, we really have no need for Korean. Spanish - YOU BET; Korean (and others) not so much.

What prompted the question was the fact that I had VERY LITTLE hard drive space left when I began downloading the 1.9+ zip file. As I watched the FTP upload the files from the .zip to the server, though, it hit me, that maybe some people might have limited space available on their servers. Webhosted servers, such as mine, have limits.

Not that it would make all that much difference overall, I wondered if space could be claimed by eliminating the redundant or unused language files.

Curiosity gets the better of me when I moodle!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Myrrh Lynn

Re: Can some language files be deleted?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Myrrh,

since Moodle 1.6, language packs are no part of standard distribution. You may have noticed some foreign language packs being downloaded. But these are just very small files including several strings for installation only.
However, it is quite safe to remove all not needed language packs from your installation. But do not expect any big profit.
In reply to Myrrh Lynn

by Art Lader -

Hi,

You can add or remove language packs by clicking first on the "Language" link in your admin menu and then on the "Language Packs" link.

The last time that I downloaded Moodle, I thought the only language pack that was already installed was the English pack, but I could be wrong about that.

Hope that helps a bit.

-- Art

Attachment languagepacks.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -

Oops, I see David has already answered you. dead

Well, I guess a second response can't hurt anything.

-- Art