how to tell what moodle version you have

how to tell what moodle version you have

by David Florence -
Number of replies: 9

I occasionaly help other users with moodle but often they are not sure which version of Moodle they are using. Is there a link anywhere on the admin interface that confirms the Moodle version that is in use? Alternatively how else could we find out (assuming the user doesn't have ftp access)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Florence

Re: how to tell what moodle version you have

by John White -
Site Administration->Server->Environment
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John White

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Or

Site Administration => Notifications

One click less big grin

EDIT:
Interestingly that won't work any more in 2.0. A lot of the notices have been removed.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Florence

by Patrick Malley -
Or ...

hover your mouse over the Moodle logo on the front page.

Attachment Picture_1.png
In reply to Patrick Malley

by Tim Durbin -

umm Okay I know this is a fairly old thread but this is the same as my question, how do I find the version of the Moodle that we are using. So rather than starting a new thread I will continue this one. None of these methods seem to work for me, and I have Site manager access. is there another way for some of the newer versions ?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Durbin

by Derek Chirnside -

It depends.  If you are an administrator, then check the Site administration > Notifications link.  The version is there.  If a Site Manager doesn't have this permission, then probably you won't be successful.

There is a tracker item somewhere asking for logged in users with teacher role to have access to the Moodle version.

-Derek

In reply to Tim Durbin

by Philipp Pavelka -

I suppose you could create course backup and then check the configuration file in an editor. At least this was working in 1.9.

In reply to Philipp Pavelka

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Confirmed.  Download backup (the .mbz file).  Change the filename extension to .zip.  Unzip to a 'test' folder.

Extracted from the zip is a moodle_backup.xml file.  Opening that with any text editor, will show at the top (a real example):

<moodle_version>2011120500</moodle_version>
    <moodle_release>2.2 (Build: 20111205)</moodle_release>

'spirit of sharing', Ken