How do I move a quiz to another course

How do I move a quiz to another course

by Mike Baldwin -
Number of replies: 17

I have created a quiz in Moodle but I now need to move it to another course sub category. When I click on the move option it just moves it within that course

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Baldwin

Re: How do I move a quiz to another course

by nuno bastos -
Hello Mike,

I also had the same problem, then I found the way to solve was to create a copy of the quiz and move that copy to the new course.

Try this...
In reply to nuno bastos

by Cecile Doyen -
Glad this topic was started...I will probably very soon be dealing with the same issue, so how do you make a copy of a quiz (keeping questions in same order)?
Tks
CD
In reply to Mike Baldwin

by Jay Melton -
As far as I know, there is no way to copy an entire quiz itself. You can, however, export your questions to a file and then import them to another moodle installation.

I usually create a quiz in one course, importing questions from GIFT files, using categories and, adding graphics files. Then I go to the other course with the same syllabus and add the questions (these questions are ready to go because of the work I did in the first course).

I hope this helps,

Jay
In reply to Jay Melton

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can copy quizzes using selective backup and restore into existing course.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Cecile Doyen -
Thanks Tim, worked like a charm!
big grin

In reply to Cecile Doyen

by Ryan Law -

Celine,

I am a novice at this - would you be so kind as to tell me, step-by-step, exactly how you did this?

Thank you-

In reply to Ryan Law

by Eric Sjaarda -

Here's the list of steps I typed up for our staff:

Go to the course you want to copy from
Choose 'Backup'
Unselect everything you don't want (User Data, Users: None, User Files: No, etc.) and click Continue
You'll get a warning.  Click Continue
You should get a message about 'Backup successfully created.' Click Continue

Go back to the course you're copying from.
Click Files
Click backupdata (folder)
Locate the backup file.  Under Action, click Restore (note, NOT the restorelog.html)
Click Yes
Click Continue
Choose Restore to Existing Course, adding data to it
Type the short name of the course you're copying to
Type the long name of the course you're copying to (not sure if/why these two things are necessary...)
Click Continue
Choose the correct course from the list
Click Restore this course now!

The assignment should now be copied.  You'll probably need to move it to the location you want in the new course. 

Hope it works!  Let me know if anything is missing!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Eric Sjaarda

by Antonella Veccia -
Hi,
thanks for this but I think I tried it already. The reason why I was suggested to link files was because even though I unselected unwantd items (say I only wanted to copy one quiz), Moodle would copy all the quizzes...but I'll give it another go.
Thanks
Antonella
In reply to Eric Sjaarda

by Sandeep Gill -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Eric,

I tried doing the same but i'm not able to restore it to an existing course. It does not give me an option of an existing course.

There are only three options:
1. New course
2. Current course, deleting it first
3. Current course, adding data to it
In reply to Eric Sjaarda

by Gearóid Ó Riain -

Hello

I tried this and the quiz I wanted to copy appeared in the target course but weithout any of the images i had in the questions. Any advice? Thanks.

Gearóid Ó Riain

In reply to Gearóid Ó Riain

by Chris Baldwin -

Hi

Did you include course files in the backup? Might help.

Chris

In reply to Eric Sjaarda

by Marc Torruella Altadill -

Hello,

When i use this method, the calendar of the target course gets all messed up... any idea why? in the backup i have only selected one quiz, nothing else, no user, no files, no data...

Thank you

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ben Frueh -
You're the man Tim. Didn't know that was possible. Massive time saver.
In reply to Ben Frueh

by Antonella Veccia -
Hi Ben,

I had the same problem and was suggested to link quizzes from one course to another. Although this solution works, it is not ideal.
Can you tell me what you did to solve the issue?
Thanks
Antonella
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Hymie Henry -

Hollo I'm new to moodle. Tim Hunt can you please tell me how do I do a selective backup and then import to the new course? 

Thank you.

In reply to Hymie Henry

by Hymie Henry -

hey anyone can help me please. i need create a exam and i dont remember how to do so, also how do you delete a quiz???

In reply to Hymie Henry

by Jon Fila -

Click on the resource, then click backup to just back up that one item. Or you can click on the course in which you'd like the resource, click Import and then select only that item from the other course.

To delete a quiz turn editing on and click on the X next to your quiz. If you are talking about deleting an attempt then you can click on the quiz. Click the attempts, select the one you want to delete and then Delete Selected Attempts.