Networking Roles

Networking Roles

Tim Dalton -
Atsakymų skaičius: 2
Hi,

Possibly I'm missing something obvious, but...

Quite successfully managed to network moodle sites of 5 local schools, and now setting about network enrollments for the teaching staff. Seems to work fine in getting them access, but they always join the network course with the student role. Is it possible to set network users as teachers on other sites?

Thanks,

Tim
Įvertinimų vidurkis: -
Atsakymas į Tim Dalton

Re: Networking Roles

David Sturrock -
Not in my experience Tim. We have a hub model going with 6 moodles from 6 separate tertiary institutes connecting to a single hub site.

At this stage we have been using a 2-pronged process - all manual. The awkward thing is that account creation and course role assignment remain separate - of course.
  1. Either have teacher roam to networked site via Network server block OR have local admin "Login as" the teacher on their own site and roam to the other site via the network server block. This creates the teachers account on the remote site. Alternatively, you could have the remote site create a generic "teacher" course on their site and then just use the local site network -> enrolments -> Peer -> Course enrolment process to create their account on the remote site. But you would have to unenrol the teacher from that course if it didn't have a valid use, as you can't enrol users on courses that are hidden on the remote site.
  2. Once their account is created, either rely on requesting the remote moodle admin to assign the teacher to the course/s or have the remote admin create a "Networked admin" role and assign each local moodle admin to that role on the required course categories, courses or site contexts. At this stage we have based this networked admin role on non-editing teacher but have allowed the role to assign an editing teacher, including themselves if necessary. Now the local Moodle admin can roam to the remote Moodle and assign the teacher to the appropriate course/s.
Clear as mud and as easy as pie? mirkt. Anyone know of an easier way?

We are starting to play around with allowing the networked admin role to be able to put a csv enrolment file into the site files on the remote Moodle. This would allow bulk "enrolments" of both students and teachers. But we still need to have their remote accounts created manually. Early days.

Incidently, does anyone know if the user account on a remote Moodle includes their idnumber?

Cheers
David

Atsakymas į David Sturrock

Re: Networking Roles: Teachers cannot see courses

Teresa Gibbison -
Hi David

"Incidently, does anyone know if the user account on a remote Moodle includes their idnumber?" No, I've tested this too and the things that DON'T come over (that I've noticed) are:
idnumber, icq, skype, yahoo, aim, msn, ph1, ph2, inst, depart, addy and url.

My query is - after following your step 1 David to manually login as each teacher to create the networked account and assigning them the Teacher role in a paper on the remote site, why can't they see their paper on their local sitelike a student can??

I have created an additional paper which the teachers are 'students' in so they have a course to click on to get to the remote site - so they can teach in their remote course!!

Hope that makes sense!!

Cheers
Teresa