Explanation on Apache pre-requisites

Explanation on Apache pre-requisites

by linda linda -
Number of replies: 15

Hi,

I've tried to install Moodle 1.9 on Apache 1.3 and PHP 5.1.2. I'd like to know if there is any issue about this configuration, because I find some errors with it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to linda linda

Re: Explanation on Apache pre-requisites

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Should be fine.... what errors are you getting?
In reply to Howard Miller

by linda linda -

The installation stops when it verifies the environment, with a fatal error, as shown below:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function xml_parser_create() in /product/oracle/1013/Apache/Apache/htdocs/moodle19/lib/xmlize.php on line 50

The environment in which I'm trying to install Moodle is:

Linux Red Hat 4;

Oracle HTTP Server (based on Apache 1.3.34, shipped with a PHP module based on PHP 5.1.2);

Oracle DB server 10g.

In reply to linda linda

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The xml functions have not been compiled into PHP. I'm not at all familiar with the Oracle Server package, so I don't know how to fix it. Do you have support for this software?

by linda linda -

Unfortunately PHP is already compiled in the OHS and I cannot modify these options. I just want to be sure, waiting for the oracle support answer, that there is no compatibility problems between Moodle and Apache 1.3.

Is there anyone who has tried to recompile PHP upon Oracle OHS? sad

In reply to linda linda

by Howard Miller -
100% fine with Apache 1.3 smile

by linda linda -
And how can I cope with the fact that the "AcceptPathInfo" directive is not supported in Apache 1.3? There's an error in the Moodle documentation about installation, because if I insert this directive in an Apache 1.3 instance, the httpd service cannot be started.
In reply to linda linda

by Howard Miller -
The documentation says "If you are using Apache2...". You are not so it doesn't apply. However, I've changed that documentation slightly to make that clearer.
In reply to linda linda

by Richard Enison -
LL,

Here is what the PHP manual says about the XML functions:

Installation

These functions are enabled by default, using the bundled expat library. You can disable XML support with --disable-xml. If you compile PHP as a module for Apache 1.3.9 or later, PHP will automatically use the bundled expat library from Apache. In order you don't want to use the bundled expat library configure PHP --with-expat-dir=DIR, where DIR should point to the base installation directory of expat.

So unless yours was explicitly compiled to exclude them, it should work.

RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Howard Miller -
...so it would appear that it was compiled to exclude them. I can't think of any other way that the xml function would not be available.

I agree it seems odd though, I couldn't find any info at all about this package.

by linda linda -

Thank you for the answers, I viewed the output of the funtion phpinfo() and found the --disable-xml directive for the configuration of the oracle mod_php module sad

I'm trying now to compile php by myself but I find some problems for the --with-apxs directive: I cannot find on the Internet the httpd-dev package for Apache 1.3 and the yum command doesn't function... Can anyone suggest me something?

In reply to linda linda

by linda linda -
The problem with yum, I must say, is due to the fact that Linux Red Hat is with an enterprise edition and its repositories are not publicy available. Can anyone say me how to solve this problem with httpd-dev versioning?
In reply to linda linda

by Howard Miller -
Yeh - building your own PHP is non-trivial. You are almost certainly going to have to build your own Apache, possibly your own Mysql and all sorts of libraries.

I avoid it like the plague wherever possible. It would be quicker to rebuild the machine with something like Ubuntu Server!

by linda linda -
It's a requisite for me to use RHEL 4, Oracle DB Server and Oracle HTTP Server. I succeeded in recompiling PHP 5.1.2 with a Oracle HTTP Server based on Apache 2.0 instead of Apache 1.3 and I'd like to know how to succeed with this other configuration.
In reply to linda linda

by Howard Miller -
It's not really a Moodle issue any more. I don't like to "pass the buck" but you might get more/better results in a PHP forum. Have you spoken to Oracle about this? Can they provide any help?

I'm also a little confused. If you have it working with Apache 2, then why not just use Apache 2?

by linda linda -

It's a big question... sad I have to use it! However thank you for the support, I'll wait for the answer of the Oracle support ;)