New Member Chat

New Member Chat

by Nancy D -
Number of replies: 32

Hi out there!

I am a brand NEW user...haven't really started yet...looking for other new users..wide eyes

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nancy D

Re: New Member Chat

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello there and welcome to the lounge smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nancy D -

Hello Mary,

Nice to hear from you!  I have just started looking around on Moodle.  What is your experience here?  smile

Nancy

In reply to Nancy D

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi again Nancy. I'm in the UK in a school where I'm Moodle admin and trainer. You can see about me on my profile. I use the forums a lot, especially the General Problems one. Good luck!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Warda Flower -

Hi Mary!

I am new and getting broken in very quickly into Moodle!! wide eyes

The Moodle Administrator at my school is doing something to my backup files...would like to talk to you...i have BIG problem..i backed up my files last night..as precautionary measure..converted a file to a .txt and then sent them to yahoo where opened them this morning.  I was SHOCKED to find cells empty EXCEPT for pictures of this administrator and his wife in my backup files!!..I also saw that i had a virus.  (i am up for this guy's job if my program succeeds...told off the record)  When i started printing out my backup files it does not start until page 19 out of 112..there is a time on it...time modieid as

1190387032 ..I know he was into my moodle sight at 3:06 p.m. on 6/17/08 and he posted on my forum...then i saw (from my manager's moodle page) that he logged into his own moodle sight he is creating about 4:00 p.m. on 6/17/08. 

Please help me...I feel anxious about all this..what do I do about what I have found?  Have I found anything?..I woke up at 4 in the morning thinking about this and started printing out my backup and found this!

Warda (aka Nancy)

In reply to Warda Flower

by Mary Cooch -
Are we talking about a whole Moodle site here? Not your particular course? You say the Moodle administrator - are you not administrator then?Why not delete him as a user - make sure he hasn't put himself on anywhere else. How do people get logins to your Moodle? Make sure it is manual via you so you have control over who accesses it. Does he have ftp access to your Moodle? If he does then that makes things extremely difficult for you
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Warda Flower -

This is Moodle and online Moodle for a for profit college with campuses across the usa.

I am a part time math teacher...we are talking about a whole Moodle site.  I am not the administrator.  Logins from Moodle come from our Corporate Headquarters from a system administrator in Florida.  I have no control over anything.  I was asked to put up a pilot class for my school..I was told off the record that if my pilot class goes well, that I will be replacing our current Moodle administrator and getting a raise and promotion.  He told me speccifically NOT to write the system administrator..that HE is the Moodle Administrator and everything has to go through him only.  I am working now with his boss who gave me his Moodle login and password. 

I have no control over anything...the Moodle Administrat at my school has control over everything.  When I did a backup on my Moodle class...I wanted to open it to see if he was doing anything to it...I was suspicious.  I received a virus..could not open the backup..and when I went inside I found 3 photos..of him that he placed...I checked the files..he did it as administrator.  What does this all mean?  Thank you.  I have heard nothing today from my school...I don't know what this all means..

In reply to Warda Flower

by Robert Santana -
Well Warda or Nancy or whoever you are, you sound like a paranoid schizophrenic.

Just an observation.
In reply to Warda Flower

by Warda Flower -

i am finished posting.  internet security looked at my course and suggested that since i had embedded virus and embedded pic in directory at backup that there is hole in our moodle instal and to notify system administrator; that they are probably not even targeting me...to check and see if our install is up to date and delete my infected course.

I need a rest..bye

In reply to Warda Flower

by Frances Bell -
I wouldn't bank on that promotion. This is a public forum, you know. We don't have formal guidelines here but in online forums it is generally thought to be a good idea to treat your identity with respect, to avoid duplicate posts and to avoid making personal allegations. Think on, as they say in Lancashire.
In reply to Frances Bell

by Vincent Short -
Hi Frances

in fact i need to say

"well i'll go the foot of of stairs!"surprise

v

In reply to Vincent Short

by Frances Bell -
Tha wa'?
In reply to Nancy D

by Frances Bell -
Hi Nancy, that's a lovely bird as your icon - what is it?
Hope you find your way around.
In reply to Frances Bell

by Nancy D -

Hello Frances,

So nice to hear from you.  The bird is a Rufous Hummingbird.  We have hummingbirds in our garden.  This particular type is rare in the Midwest...I haven't seen one yet! 

I have starte looking around.  Such a HUGE site!  Please keep in touch.  What is your experience with Moodle?

Nancythoughtful

In reply to Nancy D

by Tony Grant -

I am looking to set up a moodle site and get it hosted by a provider. My question is is there a generic moodle site that can be purchased. Surley others have gone before me and had the same difficulties understanding what to or are unable to do it themselves. I approached a Moodle Partner fo rthe basic site and hosting and I was quoted E5,000.00 for the first year and i have no students yet. I travel to train people in industry and would like to plan to work more from home.

I am in IRELAND someone may be willing to work with me on this one and share the project.

In reply to Tony Grant

by Frances Bell -
I am sure that you can get a much cheaper price than that for your initial set up/experimentation from Moodle partner or someone else. I'll contact you off forum and make a suggestion, as others will do too, no doubt.
In reply to Nancy D

by Jessica Terrazas-Carver -
Hello:

I am a new member just joining today. Any advice?
In reply to Jessica Terrazas-Carver

by Art Lader -
Welcome, Jessica,

Welcome to a great community. Nice to have you here.

Advice? Hmmm...
  • Do not be intimidated by the many highly technical posts in the Using Moodle course. It is perfectly acceptable to post "newbie" questions there.
  • Be sure to explore Moodle Docs. There's a lot of very useful info there.
  • Focus not so much on Moodle itself, but rather teaching with Moodle. There is a pretty big difference, right?
  • Become a positive, reasonable voice in the community. You will quickly make lots of new Moodle-Buddies if you do that.
I am sure some other members will chime in with helpful, constructive thoughts.

Happy Moodling!

-- Art
Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to Art Lader

by Mary Cooch -
Just to second Art and to say welcome and not to be afraid of asking what might appear to be the simplest questions.
In reply to Jessica Terrazas-Carver

by Tabitha Parker (was Roder) -
Hi Jessica

Welcome to the Moodle community. You seem to be getting good advice already, so just another hello and agree (again) that you should feel free to ask questions. There are forums setup for asking questions of other users and experts in the right place - this will help you ask the right people wink.

Two courses to enrol yourself in on moodle.org - Using Moodle (as previously mentioned) and Moodle Features Demo.

You may also want to keep an eye open for Moodlemoots - these conferences are great opportunities to meet other Moodlers and share stories and tips. There is a Moodle conference area setup here too.

What will you be doing with Moodle?

Great to have you with us.
big grin

In reply to Tabitha Parker (was Roder)

by Art Lader -
Good advice about the Moots, Tabitha. I second that.

-- Art
Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to Nancy D

by kartika veronica -
hellooo, im new heree tersipu actually im confuse about how to use this moodlee.. is it international? i mean like facebook or what? coz i knew moodle from my campus and i thought its just for our community in this campuss senyum
In reply to kartika veronica

by Frances Bell -
There are thousands of Moodle sites in the world. This one is where you learn about Moodle, how to use it, install it, adapt it, etc. This is the social forum of the very international site Moodle.org and not just for your campus.
You could find out useful information about Moodle here to bring it back to your own Moodle site, which you are likely to be using for your studies.
In reply to Nancy D

by Helen Crawford -

Hi Nancy,

I'm new too. I sent a message about the Sydney Moodle group and was sent an email to tell me to stop spamming. I wonder if I'll be told to stop spamming here too?

Helen

In reply to Helen Crawford

by Mary Cooch -
Hi Helen. I just had a look on that thread and I don't think it was you she was addressing but someone posting about alcohol addiction etc - so please don't take offence smile
In reply to Helen Crawford

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Helen,

As Mary says, the post about stopping spamming was a reply to a spam post. Both have now been deleted and the spammer's account has been blocked.

Fortunately, instances of spam are pretty unusual on moodle.org. However, if you come across spam anywhere on any moodle.org site, please report it immediately via one of the methods listed in the FAQ on spam in the Moodle.org FAQ.
In reply to Nancy D

by Shelby Salt -
Hey I'm new to.
Attachment 3_1_.GIF
In reply to Shelby Salt

by Mary Cooch -
Hi Shelby. Welcome to the main Moodle site for everyone in the world. If you are wanting to post on your own school's Moodle (Heritage Heights, yes?) you need to check out its address to put into your browser and log in there smile