Student average grades in grader report are missing

Student average grades in grader report are missing

by Ralf Seliger -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

in Moodle 1.9.1+ (recently upgraded from Moodle 1.8.2), the system does not compute the average grades for the students.

What I see in the grader report is this:
First Name/Last Name
1. Assignment
2. Assignment
Average
John Boy Walton
-
Sue Ellen Walton
-

-

while I expect this:
First Name/Last Name
1. Assignment
2. Assignment
Average
John Boy Walton
Sue Ellen Walton

I didn't change the default settings for "Grades" in "Site Administration".

Regards
Ralf

In reply to Ralf Seliger

Re: Student average grades in grader report are missing

by Sam Chinnis -
I am having the same problem.  Upgrading to 1.9x the category averages and course total grades are now blank in the grader report.  I cannot find the setting to get them back.
In reply to Ralf Seliger

by Nicolas Connault -
This usually happens because the "Average" column is not just a passive calculated figure, it is an actual grade stored just like others, but which gets updated based on the grade items in its category. What you can do is turn editing on (in the grader report), then edit the category settings, and select the aggregation type you require. "Mean" is only one of them. Changing this should update the averages column once you turn editing off.
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Ralf Seliger -
Well, I went to the grader report and turned editing on, but I couldn't find any control for 'category settings' that would allow me to select the aggregation type.

The closest thing to your suggestion I could find is the the drop down box 'Choose an action ...' containing the item 'Edit categories and items'. But when I select this one, I don't see how I can select the aggregation type either.

What am I missing?
In reply to Ralf Seliger

by Nicolas Connault -
The aggregation type of the Course Category can be changed by editing the Course Category settings. The Course Category is the top item in the "Edit categories and items" page. It is also the top row of the Grader report. In editing mode, there is a little "hand" icon next to that category title (it is usually named after the course full name). Click that icon and you will enter the Edit Category page, with the Aggregation menu as explained.
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Ralf Seliger -
This time I found it, and it works, too. Thanks a lot. You saved the day.

Regards
Ralf