edit profile

edit profile

by trish sutherland -
Number of replies: 10

None of my students are able to edit their email address or indeed most of their profile. How do i change this, so that they can at least edit their email address?

When i set up the accounts,. they are set up with their college email. Most of the students don't use their college email, and would prefer to use another, so i would like them to be able to change it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to trish sutherland

Re: edit profile

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Trish,

this is handled by the authentication module you have enabled - go to admin > authentication, and then select the authentication type you are using on your site. - then you should see that the e-mail field is set to "locked' or "locked if empty" - just change it to "unlocked"

smile

Dan
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by trish sutherland -

Hi Dan,

thank you for the reply - I went to authentication, and found that all the fields are set to unlocked already.  Is there anything else it might be?

I'm using v1.7.2

cheers

by Shane Elliott -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Trish,

Just shooting ideas here. If you have more than one authentication method enabled then you might want to check the settings for all of these.

The other possibility that came to mind is, has your site been customised at some point in the past ie has someone changed the edit profile page?

Cheers,
Shane.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Trish,

Is the defaultuserroleid setting in Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies set to guest by mistake? It should be authenticated user.

Another possibility is a change in the capability moodle/user:editownprofile. It should be allowed for the authenticated user role (see Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by trish sutherland -

thank you Helen, the defaultuserroleid was indeed set to guest. I have the choice of setting it to admin, course creator, teacher or student. I'm guessing i want to set it to student right?

thanks for your help

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hmm, it sounds as though you're using Moodle 1.7? If so, the defaultuserroleid should be set to guest, as if you set to student it will result in all students being enrolled on all courses.

To enable students to edit their own profiles, I recommend you upgrade to Moodle 1.8 or 1.9 as soon as possible.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Dirk Grunwald -
Hi,

I'm having the same problem (students unable to edit profile).

I'm using mail authentication, and the authentication page claims all fields are unlocked. The defaultuserroleid is 'authenticated user'.

I upgrade from 1.8.3+ to 1.9+ (last week). Before that, I could edit the profiles fine.

In the current setup, I don't even see the 'edit profile' tab when I e.g. click on my own profile.

The administrator account does see its 'edit profile' tab.

Thus, it's not clear that upgrading to 1.9 will solve the problem for others either.
In reply to Dirk Grunwald

by Dirk Grunwald -
Has anyone found a solution to this problem in 1.9?

I have enough changes now that I can't roll back to the functioning 1.83 version. Probably time to sit down & debug.

by Dirk Grunwald -
I've fixed this problem with the help of John Isner and the 'rolesdebug' module

The problem I was having was that the internal role for 'authenticated user' was being set to 'guest' rather than the proper internal 'authenticated user' profile.

I found this by using rolesdebug to explain what roles would be used for the editownprofile permission.

I fixed this by going to Users -> User Profiles, noticing the error message reporting the problem associated with authenticated users, and then setting it to the proper value.

After that, things worked fine, including updating pictures (although that requires refreshing the page manually due to caching).

by John Isner -
Hi Dirk,
As Helen mentioned earlier in this discussion, the defaultuserroleid was Guest in 1.7. I could see how a problem might have occurred if you were upgrading from 1.7, but you upgraded from 1.8.3, and you said everything was working properly in 1.8.3. That would mean that the defaultuserroleid was mapped from Authenticated user to Guest, which would be a real bug.

There is an open issue MDL-13901 ("Default role for all users set to Guest not Authenticated user after upgrade") which is similar. You might want to add a comment there, describing your upgrade path. Also check out this discussion, which Helen links to from MDL-13901.