Banner/Luminis Message Broker plugin update 0.6.2

Banner/Luminis Message Broker plugin update 0.6.2

by Eric Merrill -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've released a new version of my Banner/LMB plugin. The new version has many many improvements, unfortunately I forgot to document many of them... D'oh.

Plugin page (won't be visible until it gets moderated):
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=849

You can download it here until the DB entry gets moderated:
http://www2.oakland.edu/elis/files/lmb0.6.1r189.zip

-Eric
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Merrill

Re: Banner/Luminis Message Broker plugin update 0.6.2

by Gianpaolo Valero -
Hi, I don't actually understand what does this plugin. Does it create a banner?. I don't get it?
In reply to Gianpaolo Valero

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No, Banner is a popular (at least in the US) student information system made by SunGard HE. This module is only of interest to schools that use it to manage students and courses.
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Erik Ordway -
Do you have an example XML file? We do not have Luminis Message Broker just Banner. I want to give the guys the run it an example of what I need. Also if there a standard (that they might recognize the name of) report in banner that I can ask for that would also work.

Thank you for making this plugin BTW.
In reply to Erik Ordway

by Eric Merrill -
There is a Banner program called ICGORLDI that creates the XML.

For complete documentation on the XML format, you can view the Documentation for 'Luminis-LDI' at connect.sungardhe.com. I can't publish the spec because it is considered IP of SunGard.
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Erik Ordway -
That statement gives me what I need.

thanks.
In reply to Eric Merrill

by George Motter -

We are trying to verify that everything is working properly, is there a way to turn on date/time stamping in the log?  I can't tell what actions are the import and what is triggered by the LMB.

Thanks! 

In reply to George Motter

by Eric Merrill -
This has been added to the newest version (in work), but to add it now, go into enrol.php and find the function log_line(). Replace the fwrite line with:

fwrite($this->logfp, date('Y-m-d\TH:i:s - ') . $string . "\n");

-eric
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Phi Le -
Eric,
Have you released a new version of the LMB plugin yet? the latest version I found is lmb0.6.1r189.
Thanks in advance,
PL
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Nate Baxley -
Eric,
We are looking to be able to export grades from Moodle back into Banner. Have you, or anyone else, had experience with this? Is it possible? Is it painful smile Is there interest in creating a way to do this? Does Banner have any kind of API for allowing this to be automated?

Thanks for any replies.
Nate Baxley
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Steve Roseman -
I'm new to the moodle world, but I'm trying to get a new, production-quality moodle service running for the campus (currently using version 1.9.5+ (20090812). I have 2 problems and one question:

1) Loading a 3000+ course, 12000+ user Banner xml feed takes awhile - maybe 7 hours on the test server the first time I load the semester's file, and about 1 hour to rerun the same file. My problem is that all access to the moodle web pages get locked out during that entire time. Mysql, Postgresql (around 24 hours...), and Oracle alike. Am I missing something?

2) After fighting with the Oracle install, the load works (as above), except the cross-listed -> meta courses get errors like: "Crosslist membership: XLSAA200940:46126:200940:inserted into db:error setting course name:error".

The individual cross-listed courses are fine, but the parent course isn't named or populated properly.

This problem doesn't exist with MySQL or Postgres.

3) To repeat Phi Li's question, is there really an LMB 0.6.2 (or greater?)

Thanks,
Steve

In reply to Eric Merrill

by Jeffrey Silverman -
Howdy. There is what I consider to be a bug in this plugin. First of all, is there a MDL Tracker page or section for this tool? I'll report this there if yes.

Now, the bug. The plugin sets mnethostid to 1 if (I think, if I read the if() statement correctly) this is a new user being added. This is a mistake! There are times when mnethostid is NOT 1 for the default site.

It would be much better to grab the default site mnethostid from the database, instead.

For example, something like:

(WARNING: Untested and possibly messy code. Just an example!)

<?php
$sql = "SELECT id FROM mdl_mnet_host WHERE wwwroot = '".$CFG->wwwroot."'";
$results = get_records_sql( $sql );
if (count( $results ) == 1){
$mn = array_pop( $results );
$moodleuser->mnethostid = $mn->id;
} else {
$moodleuser->mnethostid = 1;
}
?>

Thanks, seeya...
In reply to Jeffrey Silverman

by Clark Moodler -
Hey all,

I think it would be great if the LMB Digester did have its own section among the non-core contributed modules in the Moodle Tracker -

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB

It seems like there are enough various parties getting involved with Banner-Moodle integration that this plugin would benefit from a more formal collaborative effort including tracker, CVS for downloads/versions, etc...

Is this a possibility?

Thanks,
Clark
In reply to Clark Moodler

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Clark - I have not looked at any code but would be happy to be supportive of getting code into CONTRIB and making suggestions on how to move things along. I typically suggest that the primary maintainer of the code read and follow Guidelines for contributed code which seems to be a tried and proven process for getting things smoothly into CONTRIB and sharing them with the Moodle community. Just let me know how to be helpful. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Clark Moodler -
Anthony,

There is a group called CLAMP (http://www.clamp-it.org/) who have a number of members using the LMB Digester, and I believe they may be in a position to identify a primary maintainer (if Eric Merrill is not interested) and get this into CONTRIB so that the LMB will have its own space on tracker.moodle.org and cvs.moodle.org. I've been talking with Ken Newquist @ Lafayette about this, and am hopeful. I will have them contact you.

Best,
Clark
In reply to Clark Moodler

by Eric Merrill -
I actually am interested in moving it into contrib. I've been working on inproving the code to bring it up the the moodle coding standards.

Also, Im going to be at the clamp moodle hackfest in january.

-Eric
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks Eric - Let me know what you need and I will be happy to help you get the code in CONTRIB. Peace - Anthony