Using Moodle groups

Using Moodle groups

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 20
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi everyone,

You've probably noticed quite a few hammer pictures have appeared in the forums recently, denoting members of the group of Core Developers.

Another less noticeable change is that Particularly Helpful Moodlers are now generated directly from posting and rating data - see the Particularly Helpful Moodler group page for details. Please remember to rate all useful posts you come across!

Hopefully these groups will be of help to everyone browsing and posting in the forums, particularly new registered users.

Any comments or suggestions for more groups in Using Moodle?
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Using Moodle groups

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Helen, the Moodle Mom smile

Is the PHM group generated by some sort of moodle.org custom script? Or is it some published add-on that takes care of this? It might be useful at other Moodle sites as well.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Alright David,
What is the icon/stamp you are proposing for a "Moodle Mom"? I am a big fan myself and about fell out of my chair laughing. Sorry Helen some us show our respect in strange ways, there can only be one you. I guess a second picture of Helen's image is a little redundant.

Thanks for the post about stamps. I have not thought about alternative uses for stamps nor looked at the module. And I was curious how the hammer and PHM (Particularly Helpful Moodler) was added, manually or otherwise.

I am still have a big grin. Best to all, Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
David and Chris, thanks for your kind words - it's a great pleasure for me to work with Moodlers around the world every day. smile

Yes, the PHM group is generated by a custom script developed by Martin. David, your stamp collection module sounds really cool - I'll have to take a closer look at it!

Chris, the hammer and PHM pictures are simply group pictures (see the create group documentation for more details).
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Collman -
Hi Helen and forum,

Thanks for answering my question about those pictures. I don't use groups in anything more recent than 1.5, and even then only use it to separate out quiz grades.

If anyone wants to know how to get Import PowerPoint in Lesson to sort of work, then be sure to ask me. I am willing to help.

It is a beautiful day in my part of the world.

Best Chris

In reply to David Mudrák

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I've had the pleasure of meeting Helen on a number of occasions and she isn't remotely "momsey". She is *very* tall, though, so I wouldn't mess with her tongueout
In reply to Helen Foster

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
At the Czech Moodle community portal http://moodle.cz, we use Stamp collection module for similar purposes. Users can be given golden stars for an outstanding contribution, e.g. helpful posts, translation, proposals, bug spotting etc. Maybe we could use Stamp collection here at moodle.org to award some sort of "Moodle medals" for a creditable act (discovering a serious security issue, longitudinal community support etc.). You, Helen, are the first one who would deserve such a medal smile

Thank you for your work on this!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Collman -
Hi Helen,
I saw that hammer. Good icon, very intuitive in my culture at least. Of course first saw it under Martin's picture, so it was not hard for me personally to make the leap.

I suggest a reaching hand instead of the Moodle M, might mean more to a newbie in recognizing Particularly Helpful Moodler.

Branding is important, maybe a "M" tattoo on the hand or an M orange that morphs into a helping hand ? Ditto something like that for the Hammer. If anybody has spare time and skills.

Too many pictures might get confusing (battle medals on the uniform or certificates on the wall). However since you asked, I want to be a Particularly Helpful Moodler, with Lesson and Newbie clusters. cool

Best to all Chris

In reply to Helen Foster

by Steve Hyndman -

Thanks...I've never rated in the past, but not that they mean something, I'll do my part to help wink

Other groups I would suggest -- one to identify Moodle Partners (aside from the PHM symbol) and one to identify those employed by Moodle Partners.

Steve

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Helen,

Not sure the hammer was the best choice of symbol for the Core Developers group. I invite anyone interested in the tool/instrument/machine paradigm to read the relevant passage in my PhD thesis (in French) where I develop the idea that the "instrument" metaphor is better suited to describe the computer (and its applications) than the "tool" metaphor. However, I have to admit that a harpsichord icon might not be more significant in the case at hand.

Too bad that moodle.org stopped short of making this new symbol an all-embracing symbol for "the proletariat of all moodlers of the world" (see attached suggestion, courtesy of my daughter Cali).

All the best,

Joseph

Attachment jo1.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
smile I do like the instrument metaphor better than the hammer and sickle wink

The hammer is the icon I picked a little while ago for the cvsadmin module ... it's meant to indicate "building" and "hands on action".

On the front page we also use a tree for developers, but that's more of a growth metaphor which could apply to anyone really.

by Marc Grober -
My son shared a similar suggestion some days ago when I chatted with him over some developments in the forum. Having just watched "The Wall" for the umpteenth time he had was caught by the sequence of the hammer marching.....

But, I don't like the lack of symmetry that is evident in the hammer and sickle (for an example of the image on the flag see retrieved from http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/flagmusi.html June 3, 2008 if you are not familiar with "The Wall")

But, being a Genesis fan I went with logo on the flag in the video of the cover "Land of Confusion" .... Hackneyed and trite in some respects, but it goes to the root of the the problem??
Attachment flagmusi2.gif

by Richard Enison -
JR,

When I saw the instrument suggestion, what came to my mind was a violin rather than a harpsichord. But then people might think it means they're just fiddling around (I don't suppose that translates well into French).

RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Chris Collman -
Hi Richard and et al,
I like the 8 ball, or is that an infinity ball? big grin Like you pointed out the language-culture translation can be tough.

It would be nice to have a theme of icons. A tree for developer. Roots for networks, fruit for PHM's (easy to throw? and let the debate be if it is an apple, tomato or pomegranate or a wild Rosa Pertha hip ).

Or some clever sort could go with the traditional Moodle smiley cake as a starting point and work backwards. Or start with the classic M for Moodler, and do an orange letter theme like H for Helper, D for developer or whatever.

Seriously, remember some cultures prefer abstracts over any image that portrays an object found in the world. So far nobody has seemed to seriously object to my shifting personal picture images but I realize that they could be offending people. Tolerance is a beautiful thing.

I do like the tree of knowledge theme.

Best Chris

by Chad Parmentier -
We run a fairly large institution 11,000 users or so, is this script that allows for group icons such as the hammer available to other installations? We would like something like this to help faculty, students, and newbies identify admins that post in our installation. up untill this point we have been placing (admin) after our surname in the profile.
In reply to Chad Parmentier

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Chad!

Adding icons to groups is a standard Moodle feature. Just edit the group and you'll see a field where you can add an image to it. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Create_group

Currently groups can only be defined within a course, site-wide groups are expected in Moodle 2.0.
In reply to Richard Enison

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Richard,
I guess the harpsichord was selected for as the instrument metaphor for the computer rather than the violin just because it has a keyboard. The violin is a good idea, and you're right the "fiddle->fiddling" pun does not translate well into French.
Joseph
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Collman -
Hi Helen,
What about a quill for a documentation group? Just an idea. Some people are going to be dripping icons below their picture, I might have to use a scroll bar to see them all cool

Best Chris

by Helen Foster -
Hi Chris,

I like your suggestion about a documentation group approve - I'll add it to my to-do list. Have you any suggestions as to how the documentation group membership should be determined?

Regarding users having lots of group icons, I think Martin has a clever space-saving solution. wink
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Collman -
Hi Helen,
Well I think you should have some say, but to encourage people set some number of edits per year or something like that.

I think a few people have developed script/bots in wikipedia which counts number of pages edited for an individual. I used to use one when I updated my user page in wikepedia.

I don't see any special pages which give us that information in MoodleDocs.

Best Chris

by Helen Foster -
Chris, thanks for your suggestions. approve

I couldn't find a good quill image, but I'm glad you approve of the pencil. Hopefully Eloy will be able to come up with a script for calculating members of the documentation writers group (see MDLSITE-482).