Aspell on Linux - where do I put the dictionary files?

Aspell on Linux - where do I put the dictionary files?

by John Fitchett -
Number of replies: 4

I have put aspell on my server and the pathway is correct in moodle, but I can't work out where to put the dictionary files.

can anyone help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Fitchett

Re: Aspell on Linux - where do I put the dictionary files?

by John Fitchett -

Anyone...???

Please...???

I have put aspell on my server and the pathway is correct in moodle, but I can't work out where to put the dictionary files.

can anyone help?

by Dean Stringer -
If you have shell access, try this:
 aspell config

It should spit out config entries including 'dict-dir' which should specifiy where the dictionary files go. The default on our install (not a Moodle machine by the way) is /usr/lib/aspell/

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Having a bit more information about your setup would help, when posting this kind of question: what's your server running (aspell works on all linux distros, mac, windows...) and which version you are using. When you say you "have put aspell on your server", does that mean you compiled it manually?

On Debian, you just do 'sudo apt-get install aspell aspell-fr' and that automatically installs aspell along with the French dictionnary. I suppose your setup is a bit different.. I'm sure there's an equivalent for RedHat, if that's what you are using.

Either way, I doubt you need to manually go place the files in /usr/lib/aspell, unless you really feel like doing a manual install, in which case they would be in /usr/local/lib/aspell ... or wherever you decided to place them after compiling..
In reply to Mathieu Petit-Clair

by John Fitchett -

Thank you, both of you for your reply!

Basically, I downloaded Aspell from:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/aspell-0.60.6.tar.gz

And the English dictionary from: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html

I then unzipped the Aspell package and put them it my server (the folders).

I then couldn't work out where to put the dictionary folder.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

My server is a linux server... It is not my own dedicated server..I am just renting space...

I tried making a folder 'dict' and puttin the dictionary files inside, but that didn't work...

When the spell check button is clicked, the spell checker popup window opens, but there is an error message saying it cannot find the dictionary.