Can I use something other than Word for assignments?

Can I use something other than Word for assignments?

by Jennifer Raimondo -
Number of replies: 8

Hi -- I'm creating an on-line course using Moodle for the first time.  I've taken an introductory course for using/teaching with Moodle.  What program do you recommend for the syllabus and assignments?  I'm using Word, but I'd like to use something that will allow me to embed links to other assignments in other portions of the course.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jennifer Raimondo

Re: Can I use something other than Word for assignments?

by Jeffery Watkins -
Jennifer,

Try the Web Page Resource. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Web_page

You will be able to have links, rich text, embed pictures and multimedia... it should be perfect for creating the types of documents you may need.

For Assignments, use the Assignment Activity. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Assignment_module

Hope this helps.

Jeff
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Jennifer Raimondo -

Thank you!  This is what I was looking for!

Take care,

Jennifer

by Marc Grober -
I guess I would have to ask you what you are specifically creating that you want to build outside Moodle (i.e. without using the built-in html editor.)

If you are building materials that are intended to be independent of the Moodle then the first question might be a political one, "Why would you use Word?"

Once past such matters the next question might be what your target format might be. Do you want your documents to be viewed as pdf, odt, xhtml, or even flash, S5?

Another consideration might be how you expect the viewer to view the materials. Are there platform or other issues that limit what clients your viewers can employ to view the resources. Will you have to convert your materials to other formats to accommodate your viewers, etc.

You may find that building on google docs, publishing and then embedding is the way to go. I have demonstrated creating a google docs presentation and embedding in moodle to teachers to quite a few oohs and ahs (though frankly I think the audience would have been easily impressed with much less ;=} )

Converting Word to html can result in more complexity than you want in your life, so if your target is a web doc you might want to look at composing in amaya or nvu. OpenOffice does a nice job (and with appropriate macros allows me to create an xhtml doc withg working MathML)

If you are a Mac or have a pdf converter installed and plan to offer docs as pdf I would have to argue simplest is best, though Google Docs is still tough to beat as far as collaboration, on-line accessibility and ease of import/export.

But to come full circle, the question I have is still, "Why not use Moodle's built in html text editors?"

But,
In reply to Marc Grober

by Jennifer Raimondo -

Hi --

Thanks for your reply.  I am a new user, so I'm not sure I formulated my question as well as I could have.  I'll be using Moodle's built-in programs.

Best,

Jennifer

by Paul Left -
I used to use Moodle pages to create 'organising pages' with internal and external links ec. Now I often just use a 'teacher' wiki - it's fast and easy to add new pages etc.The front page can have links to pages for course overview, outcomes, assessment, topics page etc. Topics page can have a list of topics, each a link to another wiki page. Each of those can have its own content and internal / external links etc.

I hope I haven't misunderstood what you wanted to do, Jennifer...
In reply to Paul Left

by Jeffery Watkins -
The third party add-on Book, http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=319, can also be used in this way Paul. I think it works a lot better than the wiki in many respects.

Jeff
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Paul Left -
Yes, I agree the book module can be very useful - I've used it extensively in several projects. I like the fact that Moodle has a good range of modules, so you can use a wiki, a book, a glossary or whatever else is most suited to the situation.
In reply to Paul Left

by Jennifer Raimondo -

Thank you!

I think I finally got it figured out.

Take care,

Jennifer