A more versatile Cloze multianswer question type?

A more versatile Cloze multianswer question type?

by Pierre Pichet -
Number of replies: 28
The Cloze multianswer question type allows to create a virtual quiz inside the quiz structure.
It is used to generate rapidly many questions and or to create quiz format that suit specific needs.
However it does not fill everybody needs either in the questions display (i.e the select element for multichoice or the pop-up feedback or the input length field) or in the grading process (i.e. negative marking or 0-100%)

There are so many Cloze questions already created using Cloze coding rules that we cannot change the coding rules or add new specific conventions.

However we could consider that the Cloze rendering or grading mode could be modified when the Cloze question is used .
So people will continue to create their questions using the actual coding convention either inside Moodle or using other softwares and inside Moodle they could set various options. These options could be exported using the XML Moodle convention.
Possible global options settings for the questions inside a given Cloze question
  • multichoice
    • actual select display
    • check display in line or vertical
    • regular Moodle display
  • numerical, shortanswer
    • input field contant or variable length
    • correct response in pop-up or inline
    • regular Moodle display
  • grading
    • regular
    • 0 -100 % if all questions are good
    • negative grading inside the Cloze question but the total grade not negative
If there is a positive responsesmile this could be "my" summer project.

Pierre

P.S. We could also consider to modify the attempts code so that each individual Cloze subquestion be given its own attempt . But this is a much more complex problem...(not for summer timewink) (Tim?)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pierre Pichet

Re: A more versatile Cloze multianswer question type?

by Jose Luis Campos -

Ohhh maybe you can do something about wrong/empty answers ;)

Greetings!!

by CDA CDA -

Hey Pierre, I hope that you actually go through with this "project" and it becomes successful, it would help a lot of people out there.

I think the first thing you should do is help people easily make multiple choice questions where the answer choices are displayed in a horizontal format. - you could do this as an option for embedded answers, or simply modify the script so that it just becomes an extra option when making "multiple choice" questions using moodle's default format

Good Luck!!!

Re: A first version of the versatile Cloze multianswer question type?

by Pierre Pichet -
Here is a first version of cloze questions allowing layout option for multichoice:
  1. either the regular select element (MC)
  2. the vertical layout similar to the "official" multiple choice (MCV)
  3. an horizontal version of the "official" multiple choice (MCH)
The user switch from each option by just changing the question type
i.e

{2:MCH:Wrong answer#Feedback for this wrong answer~Another wrong answer#Feedback for the other wrong answer~=Correct answer#Feedback for correct answer~%50%Answer that gives half the credit#Feedback for half credit answer}.

cloze.jpg

Pierre

by Itamar Tzadok -
Looks good! Thanks.
In accordance with the spirit of cloze questions as highly flexible perhaps we should leave the paragraph layout of the options as well as the instruction part (i.e. 'choose one answer') to the discretion of the question author. So by default the options will be displayed inline just like the original select element (even the vertical mode, unintuitive as it may seem) and with no instructions. The point is that we can never fully anticipate the possible uses of this embedded type in a cloze and since these features of the embedded MC can easily be handled by the author there's no need to enforce a fixed form. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Pierre Pichet -
"instruction part (i.e. 'choose one answer')"
This is to render the interface more user friendly although the Cloze does not stand with the various standards. I prefer to leave it.
The default select element is the only one that is really in-line.
The horizontal option is not necessarily in-line if the option texts are not very short.
The actual proposal is tranparent to all existing cloze questions and does not change the question structure but does not give all the flexibility of the "real" multichoice.
Further options could be added in the future.

Pierre
P.S.
"So by default the options will be displayed inline just like the original select element (even the vertical mode, unintuitive as it may seem)"
If you have a proposal on how to code everything (vertical)in-line, put it on this forum.
Although not shown here, the feedback and good response display of these new layouts would follow the standard questions display i.e. not the pop-up window.

by Itamar Tzadok -
I might have been somewhat unclear in my "inline" proposal. So basically what I mean is that the MC embedded question in the two new modes should be rendered exactly where it is written in the paragraph rather than start a new paragraph (or new line).

So a question could look like (choose one)
  • this
  • or this
  • or this
  • or even that
and then continue here...

This may look odd but as I suggested someone somewhere may think that this (according to the selected option above) is exactly the way it should be. smile

by Pierre Pichet -
So a question could look like (choose one)
  • this
  • or this
  • or this
  • or even that
and then continue here...
As you know formatting in HTML is not a simple thing.
Actually the answers in the vertical or horizontal display are contained in a table whose properties are defined by the theme used for your moodle installation.

This being known, you can used the HTML question text editor to create an HTML structure that satisfy your needs within the limitation of the editor and the HTML filtration made by Moodle code.
Like you have done here using a table.

Pierre

by Pierre Pichet -
On a second thought, I will remove the instruction part (i.e. 'choose one answer') and let the teacher add it perhaps as a general instruction.
Pierre

Re:The HELP for the more versatile Cloze multianswer question type?

by Pierre Pichet -
Here is a first suggestion for the help file:

Embedded answers (Cloze)

This very flexible question type is similar to a popular format known as the Cloze format.

Questions consist of a passage of text (in Moodle format) that has various answers embedded within it, including multiple choice, short answers and numerical answers.

If needed the multiple choice select element can be replaced by the standard radio buttons disposed either vertically or horizontally.

Note however that these buttons are displayed in a table and not imbedded in the text as the select element.

There is currently no graphical interface to create these questions - you need to specify the question format using the text box or by importing them from external files.

Here is an example of the input text used to specify such a question:

This question consists of some text with an answer embedded right here {1:MULTICHOICE:Wrong answer#Feedback for this wrong answer~Another wrong answer#Feedback for the other wrong answer~=Correct answer#Feedback for correct answer~%50%Answer that gives half the credit#Feedback for half credit answer} and right after that you will have to deal with this short answer {1:SHORTANSWER:Wrong answer#Feedback for this wrong answer~=Correct answer#Feedback for correct answer~%50%Answer that gives half the credit#Feedback for half credit answer} and finally we have a floating point number {2:NUMERICAL:=23.8:0.1#Feedback for correct answer 23.8~%50%23.8:2#Feedback for half credit answer in the nearby region of the correct answer}.

The multichoice question can also be shown in the vertical display of the standard moodle multiple choice.

{2:MCV:Wrong answer#Feedback for this wrong answer~Another wrong answer#Feedback for the other wrong answer~=Correct answer#Feedback for correct answer~%50%Answer that gives half the credit#Feedback for half credit answer}

Or in an horizontal display that is included here in a table

The same multichoice in horizontal mode {2:MCH:Wrong answer#Feedback for this wrong answer~Another wrong answer#Feedback for the other wrong answer~=Correct answer#Feedback for correct answer~%50%Answer that gives half the credit#Feedback for half credit answer}

Note that addresses like www.moodle.org and smileys smile all work as normal: a) How good is this? {:MULTICHOICE:=Yes#Correct~No#We have a different opinion} b) What grade would you give it? {3:NUMERICAL:=3:2} Good luck!

This example will appear to students as follows:

Question 1
Marks: --/12.00

This question consists of some text with an answer embedded right here Wrong answerAnother wrong answerCorrect answerAnswer that gives half the creditand right after that you will have to deal with this short answer and finally we have a floating point number .

The multichoice question can also be shown in the vertical display of the standard moodle multiple choice

1. Wrong answer

2. Another wrong answer

3. Correct answer

4. Answer that gives half the credit

Or in an horizontal display that is included here in a table

The same multichoice in horizontal mode

1. Wrong answer
2. Another wrong answer
3. Correct answer
4. Answer that gives half the credit

Note that addresses like www.moodle.org and smileys smile all work as normal:
a) How good is this? YesNo
b) What grade would you give it?

Good luck!

The text of the question will be included in a textarea that cxannot be put on the editor forum.
help.jpgAny comments wil be appreciate. Pierre

by Steve Turley -

What would be really great would be adding the possibility of calculated answers.  I'm not sure what a clean interface would look like, but I frequently wish to create questions where I would like to ask multiple questions of the student which all depend on the same set of random data.  An extension of the Cloze format seems like a natural way to accomplish this.  Here is an example of the kind of question I would like to ask:

A ball is in uniform motion with a speed of 10 m/s moving in a direction of 32 degrees relative to the x axis.

1. What is the x component of its velocity?
  2. What is the y component of its velocity?

I'd like each student to have a different random value for the speed and direction, but to use these same random values for both part a and b of the question.

In reply to Steve Turley

by Pierre Pichet -
On 2.0 you will have the possibiliy to synchronize calculated questions in a given quiz using category datasets here {speed} and {direction}.
All the questions using these {speed} and {direction}category datasets will have the same {speed} and {direction} values in a given attempt so you can create the two calculated questions

Pierre

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Steve Turley -

Perfect!  Do you think 2.0 will be ready and tested by January?

In reply to Steve Turley

by Pierre Pichet -
A first release (not for production) is planed for the end of september.mixed

Pierre

by hon wai lau -
Actually, is there a hard deadline for it?

I have just taken a look for the tracker, and there is about hundred of blocker issues. If the Moodle release is based on the quality, like firefox, it seems that we have to wait for it until early 2011. It is still not useful so I probably wait for Moodle 2.1. It should be be the first semester of the 2012. sad

by Paola Manzini -

let me bump up this thread, as I have a similar problem. For isntance, I have a system of two equations in two unknows, and would like to be able to ask within the same question for the solution of both variables.

At the moment the solution I have found is to create a "description" setting out the problem, and then ask two "calculated questions" with syncronised values for the wildcards.

That is, the description states:

"The demand for a given commodity is given by Q_D={a}-{b}P while supply is given by Q_S={c}+{d}P."

Then the first calculated question asks

"Let $$a={a}$$, $$b={b}$$, $$c={c}$$ and $$d={d}$$. Defining the equilibrium quantity as the $$Q$$ which satisfies $$Q_D=Q+S$$, determine $$Q$$"

while the second calculated question asks:

"Let $$a={a}$$, $$b={b}$$, $$c={c}$$ and $$d={d}$$. Determine the equilibrium price level $$P$$".

I can live with this, but it is not ideal, especially because in the description I cannot use wildcards, so if I want to avoid symbolic expressions I have to repeat the text of the question in each sub answer. So ideally I would like to have a single question that allows to insert multiple answers

Very regrettably, I cannot use Hon Lau's formula question type, unfortunately, because I am on Moodle 2.1.

I would be msot grateful for any improvement on the above rough solution.

In reply to Paola Manzini

by Pierre Pichet -
Hi Paola,
As you could see on other recent forum posts, a workable 2,1 version of Hon Lau should be available soon.
There is a bug on 2,1 calculated synchronization that should be solved in the next weeks...
So wait and see ...sorry.

by Paola Manzini -

Many thanks Pierre - I don't think it will be there before the start of my term, but I'll be watching the space very closely!

In reply to Paola Manzini

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hi Paola,

That's funny, this is exactly this kind of problems (among others !) that motivated me to update formulas question type to Moodle 2.1.

I teach mathematics in a depatment called Business and Administration Management (in french "Gestion des entreprises et des administations") maybe you can send me good exercices and problems if you have some (even not as quiz questions, I can use pdf, word documents, .. ) because I spend so many time on formulas code that I am fearing my exercice sheets will not be ready for september blush.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Paola Manzini -

Hi Jean-Michel,

well that is the very least I can do! I imagine your students are more advanced than mine, but we can compare notes. I am (very slowly) putting questions that I put in the (awful) proprietary MyMathlab VLE into Moodle, so one thing I can do is save/export my question bank and pass it on to you. But I have quite a bit of material in other form (latex, pdf etc.) that I can also make available. Whethere these are good questions is another matter - I have plenty of dull ones for sure smile

Perhaps we can continue in private conversation, as this may not be of general interest, but you tell me.

In reply to Steve Turley

by hon wai lau -
Hello steve,

I have recently developed a question type (called coordinates) that has the exact features cos my focus is the application in physics. You can use multiple subquestions, and the students can answer numbers and units. Plus there are extra features that you might want to use.

If you are familiar with variables assignment and using equations, then this question type would be very simple to use. The discussions are here
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=155989
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to hon wai lau

by Steve Turley -
This looks like a very good fit to what I'm looking for.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

by Stefan Eberhard -

Dear Pierre,

it would be an awesome improvement in Moodles quizzing power.

In reply to Stefan Eberhard

by Pierre Pichet -

Things have change a lot since 2008 but as you can see in recent forums posts the Cloze flexibility remains an actual concern.

As an example, the new engine attempt code will alllow to implement multiple answers in multiple choice and a first code proposal has been built but was not included in the HUGE new engine release to limit the potential problems.

Stay tuned for more news wink

Pierre

P.S. Look at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=181049

by Derrick Henning -

I have tried the syncronized calculated questions and they are ok, but I think that adding calculated to the cloze would be the most powerful. The benefit of have the question contained in the cloze is that when it is randomly selected so are all of the parts of the question. Being able to randomly select cloze questions with calculated answers would add a great deal of functionality.

In reply to Derrick Henning

by Pierre Pichet -

The internal structure of Cloze use {..} to store the subquestions and the {...} is used in calculated to store the params. So we cannot easily if at all, mix these question types.

Pierre  

by Derrick Henning -

Are there any plans on a multiple part calculated question?