How to change the Front Page

by Adrian Stock -
Number of replies: 12

Hi, All,

Please look at the Front page of

http://moodle.hollandmoor.lancs.sch.uk/

A colleague (to whom I have no access) put the photograph of the school, the windmill logo, the Ofsted logo on that title page.

I am trying to find out how and where she did it. Then I have to place a link to a music file (mp3) and to a video clip, underneath the school photograph, or into some other suitable position. In think I know how to do this, once I have the html editor open (in the right location).

But to start with I have to understand how the front page was created.

I went to Site Administration | Front page | Front page settings |

where I can find no reference to any of the three images:

the windmill logo, the school photograph, the Ofsted logo

What I do find is:

Full site name: Holland Moor Primary School

Short name for site: Holland Moor

Front page description (in the html editor): "Welcome to Holland Moor School's Moodle" (I can NOT find this text anywhere on the front page display. Where does it show? But I do find on the front page simple "Welcome to Holland Moor School"; is that a truncated version of the above?)

Then there are two blocks of 4 all set to "none" (see screen print); etc.

I cannot find any reference to the images I am looking for. I want to learn how to replace them, place an additional image, or to place a bit of text with a link underneath any of them.

I have found the location of some of the images; namely:

Site Administration | Front page | Site files,

which contains, for example,

which is the school photograph

which is the Ofsted logo

which is the windmill logo

But where was the page designed which brought all these images together?

On the displayed front page I see, above the windmill logo: "Holland Moor School"; that is no where in the Front Page Settings.

Please help.

Thanks

Adrian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Stock

Re: How to change the Front Page

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Adrian - she will have gone to Site Admin>server>site files (doing this path from memory by the way) and then uploaded the images into there - then linked to them. The 'Welcome to Holland Moor School' on the front page will have been typed into the topic section that she will have selected in front page settings - a popular choice of front page setting to bring up an image and text. The other text will only show if you select the Block called 'course/site description' to appear on the front page. The windmill logo and words will have been made by adding an html block again in front page
In reply to Adrian Stock

by Steve Hyndman -

While you are at it, you may want to size down the image of the school a bit. There is no reason to have a 1800 x 1200, 720k image there. I sized it down to 600 x 292 (88k) and attached it....you could even get it smaller than that if you wanted, but this will help the load time of your frontpage a lot.

Steve

Attachment hms.jpg
In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Steve Hyndman -

Adrian,

I'm just happen to be doing some Photoshop videos for one of my classes and realized the image of your school was perfect for illustrating a few of the basic techniques I'm covering. Below is the touched up photo I ended up with after finishing the tutorial...you may like it better. I removed the yellow curb pole, added a few more flowers below the tree on the right and in the pot at the bottom right of the door. I also removed the phone line over the school and the wire running down the building at the right side of the door.

Attachment hms1.jpg
In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi again Adrian - an afterthought... I have IM'd you but don't know if you are receiving messages?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Maya A -

Hello,

I noticed that the question about altering the site (front page) has come up often.  I have noticed that multiple users have presented it throughout the years in various forums.  Suggestions regarding using labels and altering block permissions do not seem to be working now.

I currently have a site with what I believe is the remnants of the search courses box showing as a white space and cannot make the label centered on the site page visible to guests.

Currently, I have a request to design the page more like a web page site.  However, I am running the server using a VM.

Can someone make suggestions about how to personalize the front page (before users log in) using 2.8 on a Virtual Machine?

I added a label but it is housed in the Main Menu block and the blocks are only allowing left or right justification.  I want it centered.  I would also like to remove the other blocks on the page and move the login fields to the main body of the page so it is more visible.

Thank you for the help!

Treading new ground smile

In reply to Maya A

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Maya, VM has nothing to do with front page smile, even a shared host could have full customization options for the front page.

Now, regarding front page as a website look alike, the PDF file you attached gives a very small image of the website frontpage, any chance that you can tell the link?

there are awesome themes available, that will shift your website's front page from Moodley to non-moodley, and in past year more than 8-9 have emerged with high capabilities already requiring absolutely no technical background from user, but flair of designing and  good aesthetic sense of course. speaking of aesthetic sense, you can even turn a simplest theme in Moodle to a WOW effect.

Some recommended themes are:

Essential, Elegance, Flexi-Base, Evolve-D, BCU, UIKit and list goes on, you can find list of these awesome Moodle make-up kits here

https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=3

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Mary Cooch -

In addition, please also see the documentation Front page FAQ and the section on "How can I change the look of the front page?"

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Maya A -

Thank you!

I reviewed that but it did not address my question.

In reply to Maya A

by Mary Cooch -

Maya - you don't need the command line to make changes to your front page. For example you can have your label in the centre by turning on the editing and adding a topic section and then using that (or a label in the topic section) There is a lot you can do without needing to delve into code, and as Usman said, there are themes out there which will give you a modern look.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Maya A -

Thank you for the reply!

Was just sharing that I am running on a VM server.  Implications being command line access is not as easily accessible to me.

Hope that was not a distraction.

Will look at the recommendation.  smile

In reply to Maya A

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Maya, in that case you would have mentioned "server core" rather VM.

As if speaking about VM, its just a shared part of hardware, but with dedicated resources to the customer, and VM can be GUI as well as command-line based like in your case so called server core. As in moodle you'll be doing 90% of the work at front-end like Mary mentioned (nothing  to do with backend) and only time you want to access files outside of moodle when uploading plug-ins/themes and that even could be achieved using FTP that of course once again is GUI based.

btw, which theme that you looked at is in approval process?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Maya A -

Super helpful!  Thank you Usman.

Scanning and searching posts dating back 10 years can cause things to get lost.

I had seen that a theme was in the approval process but there was nothing else to the thread.  

I will continue my search next time.

Thought reaching out would be better.