Category Dropdown box is empty

Category Dropdown box is empty

H K-mit -
Antal besvarelser: 13

Hi

I am using Moodle 1.9 + (Build 20080430)

I am creating new questions for a quiz, the 'Category' dropdown box is empty. When I give a name to the quiz and click on the 'Save Changes' button'  I am receiving the error message 'Neither a question id, nor a category id and question type, was specified'.

I am unsure as to how I can correct this?

Gennemsnitsbedømmelse: -
I svar til H K

Re: Category Dropdown box is empty

Tim Hunt-mit -
Core developers-ip assinga Documentation writers-ip assinga Particularly helpful Moodlers-ip assinga Peer reviewers-ip assinga Plugin developers-ip assinga
It sounds like the default category for the course was not created for some reason. Weird.

Can you go to the question categories tab and create a category manually?
I svar til Tim Hunt

H K-mit -

Thanks for getting back to me Tim.  I tried to create a category manually in the question categories tab, saved it and went back to the quiz. but the category's dropdown box is still empty.  I went back to the question categories tab, but the new category that I created was not displayed.

I svar til H K

Tim Hunt-mit -
Core developers-ip assinga Documentation writers-ip assinga Particularly helpful Moodlers-ip assinga Peer reviewers-ip assinga Plugin developers-ip assinga
That is certainly very strange. I have never seen a problem like it. Therefore, I don't know what else I can say? Can you try making a new installation of Moodle1.9.1+ on a test server and see if that works? If it does work, can you compare the definition of the mdl_question_... tables between the working version and the broken version?
I svar til Tim Hunt

H K-mit -

Hi Tim

I have make a new installation of Moodle 1.9 + on another server and the issue is occurring on that as well.  Which specific table(s) in the database is the Category stored in?

I svar til H K

Tim Hunt-mit -
mdl_question_categories.

The bug is the fact that the category dropdown is empty. Any further investigation you can do would be appreciated.
I svar til Tim Hunt

Tim Hunt-mit -
The default categories should be created by the question_make_default_categories method in lib/questionlib.php, if necessary. And that method should be called from all appropriate places.
I svar til Tim Hunt

H K-mit -

Hi Tim

Can you attach the questionlib.php file from the lib location to this post please? I would like to compare the the questionlib.php file on my server with what is the correct version.  The Moodle version on the new server is Moodle 1.9 + (Build 20080430)

I svar til H K

H K-mit -

Hi Tim

My thinking is that if I replace the existing questionlib.php file ont he server with one included in a new download of the Moodle version 1.9 (Build 20080430) this might resolve the issue.  In your opinion, might fix the problem?

I svar til H K

Tim Hunt-mit -
I don't know. It depends on when the relevant parts of that file were last edited. The CVS log may be able to tell you something: http://cvs.moodle.org/moodle/lib/questionlib.php?view=log
I svar til Tim Hunt

H K-mit -

I have removed Moodle 1.9 twice from the server and reinstalled. The same issue is occurring. The mdl_question_categories table is storing the Category names when the course is created, but the category dropdown box is still empty when I attempt to create questions for the quiz

I svar til Tim Hunt

H K-mit -

Hi Tim

As regards this issue, I have come across the MDL-7531 issue.  It affects version 1.7.

I am currently using Oracle database with Moodle 1.9.1 + (Build:20080625)

In your opinion, would a fix like this resolve my issue?

I svar til H K

Tim Hunt-mit -
That fix is already included in Moodle 1.9, but it might be worth looking for something similar.

The fact you are using Oracle makes me less surprised that a few things don't work. Fewer people have used Oracle, so it is less well tested, and Oracle's version of SQL is not very standard.
I svar til Tim Hunt

H K-mit -

Hi Tim

We were able to resolve the issue by removing Moodle 1.9 and reinstalling version 1.8.  The Quiz module is working successfully