Attendance Grades not being submitted to gradebook 1.8.4+

Attendance Grades not being submitted to gradebook 1.8.4+

by Jason Hollowell -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I have just discovered a weird 'quirk' with the Attendance module.

I had a teacher who changed the 'settings' and removed one classification (the first one "P") and set the value to zero (0).

The resulting settings that he was using are as follows:

Status Acronym Description Grade
P (nothing) (nothing) 0
A P Present 2
L L Late 1
E A Absent 0

When he used these settings, the attendance grades were not being displayed by the gradebook. I poked around in the database forever trying to figure out why 'attendance' was not showing up as a graded event in his gradebook and finally got it to show by changing the grade for his "P" setting that he wasn't using to a numeric value (greater than 0). I changed it to 2 and everything shows up now.

I can't figure out why though? I thought maybe it was because he had accidentally recorded a few students attendance using the first column (the one he had cleared the settings for "P") but then I remember a couple of other courses that we have set up to only use Present and Absent. Their settings look like this:

Status Acronym Description Grade
P (nothing) (nothing) 0
A P Present 2
L (nothing) (nothing) 0
E A Absent 0

I went and looked at those courses and have the same problem (sort of). The graded item does not show up in the gradebook when I click on the "edit categories" tab but when I look at the grades, the data is being passed as uncategorized. ??

I'm baffled? I do remember trying to delete one of the graded items from the database table manually and another one was automatically created so I guess the coding forces the 4 categories but I don't know why grade reporting to the gradebook is adversely affected when the Grade value is changed to 0 or left blank??

Jason
Average of ratings: -