Grading locked in assignments but not locked in gradebook?

Grading locked in assignments but not locked in gradebook?

by Heidi Beezley -
Number of replies: 7
Hello,
I just set up a gradebook in 1.9. When I did it I noticed that even though the grades were not locked in the gradebook, when I went to an assignment that had already been graded, I could NOT adjust grades within the assignment. It reports a final grade underneath the dropdown where you can normally change grades, and I can't change it. But I can change the grade within the gradebook. I'm not sure what I did when I set up the gradebook to make this happen. Is there any way to get back the ability to adjust grades in the assignment itself?

Thank you!
In reply to Heidi Beezley

Re: Grading locked in assignments but not locked in gradebook?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Heidi,

When you edit a grade directly in the gradebook, an "overridden" flag is set, meaning that the grade can no longer be changed from within the assignment.

However, the flag can be un-set by turning editing on in the grader report, then clicking the edit grade icon, unchecking the overridden box and saving the changes.

Please see the grade editing documentation for further information.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Rob Johnson -
Helen - Is there a logical reason for the "overridden" flag to be set? I have found this very frustrating (see this discussion), and was ready to report it as a bug. It is too many mouse clicks to uncheck "overridden." I would like to be able to change grades from both the gradebook and assignment module.

If anyone can make sense of this for me, I know you can Helen. smile

Thanks,
Rob
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Good question Rob! approve I wondered about this too, and asked gradebook expert Nicolas Connault.

The short answer is that the overridden flag is necessary to avoid grade conflicts. wink

In general, grades in the gradebook come from an activity, such as a quiz or an assignment. Students complete a quiz and their grades are added automatically to the gradebook. Teachers check students' assignment submissions and grade them within the assignment activity and the grades are added to the gradebook.

If a teacher edits a grade directly in the gradebook, it's assumed they have a good reason for doing so, and that the grade entered should then not be able to be changed via the activity. Otherwise, a student could retake a quiz and their new grade would override the grade entered directly in the gradebook by the teacher.

Another way of looking at things is to ask the question: Why would a teacher want to edit an assignment grade directly in the gradebook, rather than first checking the student's submission within the assignment activity? If they have a good reason for editing a grade directly in the gradebook, would they have any reason to later want to edit the grade again within the assignment activity?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Bob Puffer -
I'm with the group that finds this "feature" enormously frustrating. At our institution (and I suspect many others) most grades are edited directly in the gradebook. I believe the discussion history of the gradebook fiascos in the past bear out that most instructors will not want to go through the hassle on a regular basis of grading through the actual assignment. With this in mind... I feel this shouldn't preclude being able to enter a grade from the assignment (while reviewing). We want the gradebook there for 1) the instructor's convenience -- make it as easy as possible to enter their grades and 2) because the students want to see EVERYTHING graded online and immediately to know where they stand. I see no good reason (from our perspective) to limit the grading to gradebook only, once it is used.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Rob Johnson -
I agree with you Bob. I was thinking the new gradebook would make the module grading pages obsolete. If there were links to student submissions in the gradebook itself, there would be no need to use those grading pages. All assignment submissions would be in one location. Think of the time saved by not having to click from assignment to assignment.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Michelle Moore -
I haven't investigated this thoroughly at all and it may be my imagination, but as I was completing grades for a course recently, I found many grades that were marked as overridden for assignments I had graded through the assignment interface. On some assignments it was just one or two but then I ran into others where nearly every assignment showed up as overridden.

I was using 1.9 and have since upgraded to 1.9.1 where I will watch for this again more closely, but I was curious whether or not anyone else had seen a similar issue or could explain what might be happening. My only guess is that at some point I had clicked into those cells while editing was turned on in the gradebook. thoughtful