Slow Lesson Module

Slow Lesson Module

by Jeffery Watkins -
Number of replies: 6

Is this module really slow for anyone else?  I am running 1.3.1.  www.socialstudies.ws/digital in the Global History classroom, guest are welcome.

thanks......

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

Re: Slow Lesson Module

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Yes it is slow, but much faster when viewing it a second time, so my guess it's the graphics slowing it down (second time they're probably taken from cache/proxy)

In reply to koen roggemans

by Jeffery Watkins -

I figured out why it was slow.  I have my glossary on autolink, and these lessons are full of terms in my glossary.  When I turn autolinking off, page loads very quickly.

Now,  How can this be fixed?

Jeff

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
It's a disadvantage of the autolink feature: it causes a lot of serverload and therefore slow pages, depending on your servers memory/processorspeed triest
In reply to koen roggemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Remember the caching feature ... you can specify how long to keep cached versions of texts on Admin > Config > Filters.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jeffery Watkins -
That did the trick, it is running faster now.  New items will not be added often, what would be an optimal setting for cache... 1hour... less?

Thanks

Jeff

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It depends on the site.

Even with caching, new items always get shown, and items that change are always refreshed, so you can set it to many hours without those sort of problems.

However, if you are using things like Glossary autolinking then new highlighted entries may take a while to show up in the texts.  Also, the cache database may get rather large, and thus a little slower. 

So you need to experiment and find a balance right for you.