Basic questions about Moodle

Basic questions about Moodle

by Peter Rollason -
Number of replies: 5

hi,

I work for a training department in a hospital and I have been asked to have a look at moodle....Im really confused !

1.Can you develop online content ie a training course in moodle ?

2.Would I need any other packages - for example we use captivate - could moodle host a capitivate application ?

3.We want people to log onto courses - and have a record of this - and maybe print email a certificate ...is this possible ?

4.Most of the staff here use powerpoint - we are good computer users - but not developers or technical - what sort of skill level is moodle aimed at ? - ie could it just host a powerpoint slide ?

5.we have a technical dept and I guess they could set\up host moodle for us - how would I start to get materials on there ?

6.Any web sties - answering above would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Rollason

Re: Basic questions about Moodle

by Matt Campbell -
1. Moodle allows you to develop content that you are able to present online. You may want to start at http://docs.moodle.org/en/About_Moodle to give you an idea about just what Moodle is and what you can do with it.

2. You can use a lot of what you've done with Captivate with Moodle - it mostly depends on what you've done with Captivate so far and how much you want to integrate it. If you've made .exe files for your employees, you can make them available to download and get a report that they've done so, or you can look at making that Captivate file into a SCORM and getting a lot more interaction with Moodle. You can find out more about SCORM here.

3. Part of what Moodle does is keep track of your user's activities. You can view these reports and work with them in a number of different ways. Moodle does not have the capability to print a certificate for you, but this is available as a third party component - take a look here for more information on the Certificate Module.

4. Moodle can certainly handle your powerpoints - in my experience, teachers often start with documents they've already made and load them into Moodle as resources. You can just let your users download the file, or actually integrate it into Moodle (directions on how to do that are here.)

5. Your IT department can set up a Moodle install for you, or you can have it hosted. More instructions on getting a Moodle site started here.

6. You're in a great place to start learning more about Moodle. Browse the forums, peruse through the docs - ask questions and play with Moodle, and you'll learn more and more!

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Peter Rollason -

Thanks Matt.

I am getting the impression that Moddle - is very similar to an Intranet - is this a good assumption ? - if not how does it differ ?

Pete.

by Matt Gibson -
Lots of built in tools for managing teaching and learning.

by Matt Campbell -
I'm sure that Moodle could be used as your Intranet - it's certainly part of ours, but we also use FrontPage, Sharepoint, DotNetNuke, and some homegrown stuff in addition to Moodle to make up our Intranet. We're moving away from FrontPage and Sharepoint right now, but we probably won't ever have just one platform for our Intranet - we tend to use Moodle for teaching, training, collaborating, and other systems for holding and disseminating information that doesn't change very often, or that hook into our enterprise database system for performance information, that sort of thing.

There are many ways to use Moodle, it just depends on your imagination and your resources. I would say it's primary purpose is to support learning, and the concept of courses, students, and teachers are inherent in how it's been developed. And for that, it's an excellent tool.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi guys,

I've knocked up a quick Wiki tutorial on how to deploy Adobe Captivate tutorials in Moodle. I've kept it as simple as possible:

http://matbury.com/wiki/index.php?title=Captivate_and_Moodle_Tutorial

Let me know how you get on!

I'm also developing an extension to the resource module that'll record student data and results. Any suggestions or requests as to how this'll work or any features you'd like to see would be most welcome.

All the best,

Matt smile