How do you add classes to a course

How do you add classes to a course

by Peter Naudus -
Number of replies: 4
Hello,

I've set up a course and I want to add multiple classes with different start / end times. Is this possible?

For example, I hold a course for six weeks. Then I want to hold the same course again with different students. Do I simply delete the course and then re-create it for the new students? (I am sure there must be a better way).

Thanks for your help!

~Peter
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Naudus

Re: How do you add classes to a course

by Marc Dastous -

Hello Peter;

Yes, there is a better way smile.  You don't have to delete it, but you do have to RESTORE a new copy of the course for the new students.  I have a similar situation every nine weeks.  This is what I do:

1. Create the course.  In your vernacular course=class.
  2. Once the course development is complete, the main page of your course has an administration block and an option to backup.  
  3. Click BACKUP.  One the first page...
    1. Leave the "includes" as YES
    2. Set "with user data" to "without user data"
    3. At the bottom of the page, set "user files" to No
  4. Once the Backup is complete, click restore and you will be given step by step instructions to restore the course.  The option to RESTORE TO a new course, comes after you click yes on the screen.
  5. When it asks you to RESTORE TO: New Course leave everything the way it is and click continue.
  6. You now have a duplicate of your course that you can change the dates, etc.

I hope this helps.

Marc

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marc Dastous

by Peter Naudus -
Thanks! That's a wonderful idea!

One lastt question: Does that mean that I can't archive the class and start a new one?

~Peter
In reply to Peter Naudus

by Marc Dastous -

Sure you can, by creating a backup and not changing any of the default settings.  This will save the structure of your course, plus all the course and student upload files.  Then you can download the file and burna CD for safe keeping; you'll have the archive on the server, plus a copy on CD just in case something goes wrong.

Glad I could be of help.  If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Marc