Moodle Geek For Hire?

Moodle Geek For Hire?

by S L -
Number of replies: 14
Any moodle guru's out there that want to make a quick buck?  I need to adjust the max. file upload amount on my new site, but can't figure out how to do it. 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to S L

Re: Moodle Geek For Hire?

by John Isner -
FYI smile

The word geek is a slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things ...." Formerly, the term referred to a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat, snake or bugs. [Wikipedia]
In reply to John Isner

by S L -

Martin,

Thank you for the link.  I've read it already and it is greek to me.  I tried the access file changes, but that didnt' work.  I guess maybe I need to change the isi.php file???  Though, I have no idea how to do that.  (This is why I'm looking to simply hire someone)  I'm sure someone out there that can resolve this in 10 minutes.  It would take me 4 days.

Re: Geek.  I need to be more careful in a public forum such as this.  I use the word in the most endearing form possible.  When I was a child, the word was certainly used in derogatory form.  However, today I always hear it in a more complimentary form.  Guess it depends upon where you are from and how old you are.

~~~  From a spreadsheet nerd (as my hubby calls me)

In reply to John Isner

by D.I. von Briesen -

Well, in her defense, we never bite heads of live chickens.... though i suppose the dead ones are fair game.

At my college we have an annual "geekfest" and have shirts that say "geek is chic"

In my particular world (United States) geek is simply meant to mean folks who are more technically (from a computer standpoint) inclined, and these days is hardly a put-down.

In days of yore it more conjured the big glasses and pocket protector. I can easily ask, "so who are my geeks?" in a university faculty workshop and not offend anyone. Perhaps i need to go edit that wikipedia entry...

d.i.

ps- now "nerd" on the other hand... has yet to achieve positive connotations...

In reply to D.I. von Briesen

"Geek" and "Nerd"

by Alexandre Enkerli -
now "nerd" on the other hand... has yet to achieve positive connotations...
My perception is that there has been a shift in usage from "nerd" to "geek" and that, in the process, negative connotations were put on the side. Something somewhat similar to what happened with terms like "gay" and "queer," or what some people are trying to do with "bright." With "geek," the process probably started 15 years ago, as technology-savvy people became more valued socially. "Geek culture" came to prominence during the Internet Bubble (ten years ago). I remember a Wired article which tried to argue that being a geek was adaptive and sexy. The Internet Bust hasn't tarnished the geek image. Nowadays, "geek culture" is very influential but probably less widespread than people assume it is.
Nerd and geek stereotypes are connected to one another but the shift in perception has accompanied major social changes. In both cases, a "brainy" character is definitional but the value of "intellectual orientation" has changed. In both cases, the stereotype mostly applies to male teenagers but geek age and gender are now being recontextualized (albeit slowly).
The stereotypical nerd wasn't popular, in school or with girls. The stereotypical geek may be socially awkward but is often endearing.
The character who would have been a "nerdy type" before, is now portrayed as someone whose unique abilities (say, with computers) can be extremely useful. A bit like a "whiz," but with some character depth.
We could probably list a number of geek characters in television shows, from Seymour Birkoff in the Nikita series (in which my cousin played a 68er Frenchman) to Zack Addy in Bones. Even Gil Grissom in CSI: Crime Scene Investigation can be described as a geek. (What's funny is that I rarely watch tv. But these characters are easy to spot.)
By extension of "computer geek," the term "geek" is now applied to different groups of people who are passionate (sometimes to the extent of obsession) and knowledgeable (sometimes to the encyclopedic degree) about a given subject. I call myself a coffee geek and a beer geek, but I usually see myself as an outsider to geek culture because I don't share their cultural references. The term "freak" (which shifted in connotation and denotation several times during the past thirty years) is sometimes used as the mildly negative version of "geek" as in "gadget freak."
I'm sure Urban Dictionary and Wikipedia have good explanations of this concept since they're pretty much "pwned" by geeks! wink

by John Isner -
Of course no offense was taken by me or anyone else, I'm sure smile I had the image of the carnival geek burned into my brain when I was a kid and saw "Nightmare Alley" on the Early Show. I just checked imdb.com and they credit the movie (actually the book that the movie was based on) with introducing the term "geek" to the public.

by S L -

Oh my goodness, you guys are cracking me up.  Who knew one little word would spark such a conversation! 

In reply to S L

by John Isner -
Hey, this is the Lounge. Anything goes!
In reply to John Isner

by Frances Bell -
John, your comment makes me feel happy (though I don't think that ANYTHING goes). But is is the Lounge.
In reply to John Isner

by Gregory Umukoro -
I am a Moodler. I have been with Moodle for over three years. We just completed the migration of a

traditional Poytechnic Institute into an online Polytechnic Inst.

My url is : http://www.omnitechnologies.net

I am also looking for similar projects following our tremendous success with our previous project. We are strong in Moodle,XAMPP,PHP,Linux,Networking and others.

Would be willing to handle projects online that have to do with training, development and server management.

Thanks,

Dr. Gregory I. Umukoro,CCP
In reply to S L

by Rod Spears -
S L have you solved your problem? If not, send me an email and I will see if I can help...for FREE.

by Steve Hyndman -

Geeks and Nerds are both doing very well in the US these days.

Geeks

http://www.geeksquad.com/

Nerds (and possibly Geeks)...and one of the funniest shows on TV

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/big_bang_theory/

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by mark picketts -
of course Huey Lewis (a.k.a. the visionary) prophosized this rise to stardom in 1986 by saying that its hip to be square...

never argue with Huey!

so if you are still reading nerds (and geeks) please help me out with this one:

In trying to mess around with the "look" of my moodle, i put in the font size="+2" tag, i then tried to close it. It didn't work (the closing), now the edit summary icon has become unclickable and the information in the summary does not show up at all. I have tried logging out and in (i am the admin) and i can't seem to do anything. Has anyone seen this before? can anyone help?
thanks,
mistermark

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
m
In reply to mark picketts

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think I just answered you above. You need to get directly to the edit summary bit of your page - is it the front page? If you look at the code and can see a section id number, try this: http://yourmoodlesite.com/course/editsection.php?id=20

where 20 is whatever number section it is - or if you can't find it, try hitting a few random numbers until you do smile