As every body says, I'm new to Moodle but I have read lots of forum messages and started looking at code to get an idea of how Moodle works.
I am posting here my message because everything has started when I read the /blocks/HOWTO.html document made by Jon.
After reading it, I've tried to do an html block by myself and I've found the following problems:
1. I downloaded last stable version of Moodle (1.4.3) yesterday. I have read a lot about 1.5 but I don´t know if it is complete and stable and where I can download it (Does it only exist in CVS?). I would like to kown if it's stable and plenty of funcionality because I'm going to use Moodle in a professional way.
2. The howto document was meant to be used only in 1.5 but with its instructions and looking to other blocks I have manages to create the block with its config.html. It shows in the front page, it shows its config page but it doesn't still work because I'm not saving the field html content anywhere neither in database nor file. But I don't know if I have to do it or not because maybe there is a parent class that makes magically every database operation. It seems too magical for me but in the 1.5 version of this block there is not any db interaction so maybe this is already done somewhere else. Any clue to start looking?
3. In fact what I'm missing to be able to work properly is some 1.4.3 documentation:
- DB Entity-Relation diagram
- Structure of code (sorry, but the existing README.txt file in the blocks section is not enougth for me), of the complete Moodle.
I have read the documentation section in this web (at least all that I have found) but I didn't find real technical documentation. Is there a place with all this docs?
4. When I learn enouth I am planning to develop some modules that I have found that could be useful. I explain the functionlity here just in case there is already something done:
- html block: its my first block and I will be able to finish it! ;)
- Webmail block: to exchange messages between students and teachers of a course. Not instant messages, more like a forum with only some receptors instead of everyone suscripted. It requires a 'You have 3 new messages in your Inbox' and a screen to manage them: delete, order, reply. I imagine I will use forums to start.
And now that I remember!, another thing that has nothing to do with the rest ...
5. I cannot find the place where months literals are, to translate them. I am using the system in Spanish and I cannot find anywhere the place where the Januaries, ... are. I have already translated the calendar and it is not there (it seems to be taking it from the system but I have it in
Spanish ...?). Does it take it from any php configuration?.
Well, too much for a forum message (my first one indeed). Sorry for the ones with the pacience to read it (and sorry for my English too!) :D