Games in moodle

Picture of Vasilis Daloukas
Games in moodle
Plugin developers
I developed a new module named game.
I think it is useful for K12-School
You can find info at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Game_module
You can find demo site at http://bdaloukas.gr/moodle
Containts 8 games (Hangman, Crossword, Cryptex, Snakes and Ladders, Millionaire, Sudoku, The hidden picture, Book with questions)
It is under GPL Licence.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dan McGuire
Re: Games in moodle
Particularly helpful Moodlers
These are great games, Vasilis. Thanks !

I think there's a mistake in the crossword. I've only tried that and Hangman in English

Picture of Lori Ketola

I like the mod, thank you for making it. There are things about it that don't seem to work though with the crossword. It isn't recognizing questions and seems to only work with a glossary and the grades are not showing up even though they are set to. I tried reading the manual but it isn't working... something about unknown "TS" errors and illegal "re" operations when I try to open it. sad

I went to the link provided above and see everything is there. This is great... thanks smile

The real me!

I'm having a similar problem.  I'm trying to use the game Hidden Picture.  It only likes the glossary and then has to have a glossary entry with photo.  After I added a photo it says it doesn't recognize it.  Are these bugs or am I doing something wrong?!?!

Picture of Lori Ketola

I had trouble with the hidden picture as well. I found it had far too many penalties and it didn't close. It was difficult to tell how many questions a student got right or if they even completed it.

Re: Re: Games in moodle
Plugin developers
I am still working on this module. What suggestions do you have?

Picture of John Andrewartha

Maybe a minor tidy up of Hangman, make the graphic a little more appealing to the younger users.
I love Snakes and Ladders it really is great as the rest of the games.

Perhaps either in the same branch or a new one games that are numeric, a shopping game would be great. Along the lines of earning moodle money by answering questions then spend it at the mall. Learn to budget, counting money etc.

Just a large wish.

Regards John

The real me!

I agree with John.  A shopping game would be extremely beneficial as our company does clothing.  For the Hidden Picture game, I'm using 1.9.  My suggestion is maybe to have it built out a bit like the quiz modules.  Where you can enter the questions as you go rather then pull from another source such as a glossary.  and maybe if the picture could be loaded as a file.

Hi,
My suggestion of a shopping game was, more a immediate reaction to a question. It would suite my groups.

I will have a bit of extra time between by mid March to put some flesh on my version of the concept.

Just to recap on the original, earn money spend money, learn to budget, manage own learning by doing high value tasks to earn more.
Class open ended, end game, student lead.

John

Picture of John Snow

Hi Vasilis,

Excellent module!! I also could not get the crossword game to work. It would crash my apache when ever I tried to run it.

Thank you for your hard work!

Steve

Picture of Sharilee Encke

What a great idea. I teach Intensive Reading and MOST of my students don't like to read. So, I am using moodle activities and uploaded files to help me teach reading standards. The students love it, and using the games will help with vocabulary, comprehension, etc. Thank you for putting it out there!

Picture of Mark Guy

I recently came across a "Game" that allowed  the user to solve a mechanical problem

by drawing in objects that fall or behave like levers / ramps etc. Essentially the game ends when the "prize" often a star shape is moved

Seems to me that this sort of Game could be very usefull, in developing and testing non verbal cognative skills. Or just "wood tech" or engineering homework.

The one I saw needed to be installed (EXE file)

Has anyone come across a simular program that may work in a hot potato or as a scorm resource ?

That's an interesting game, do you have any additional information?

The group I am involved with certainly benefit that type of activity. Testing cognitively connection is not a easy one at best.

John

Picture of Mark Guy

John, The one i came accross is called "Numpty physics" in the net AS FREE software

http://thpinfo.com/2008/numptyphysics/

Do you know if anyone had done anything simular on Moodle

Regards

Thanks,
It looks interesting and is ported to all major platforms which is a +++
I used this URL http://numptyphysics.garage.maemo.org/

Cheers John

Picture of Mark Guy

John, I have just remembered there used to be a great game called "incredible machine" then the follow up "contraptions" which used problem solving using fixed objects that responded to "physics".

A "physics engine"  that could interact with a grade book for completed / score could have loads of uses.

Ryan Chadwick

Creativity Games has a bunch of simple word games that can be used for developing creativity and problem solving ability. There is a good explanation of how to use them here.

These could easily be incorporated into your Moodle classes by way of forum discussions. I have been using them to great effect in various tutorials I am running. They are useful as they can easily be tweaked to suit the topic you are teaching.

I was feeeling green

Have you tried Phun (http://www.phunland.com/wiki/Home)? It is cross platform and free. It still would not be "online" playable, but you could post files and students could edit and post.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
I found a program http://www.download.com/FardaSaz-EXE-to-SWF/3000-6676_4-10554387.html and it converts exe files to swf and has enabled me in the past to upload to Moodle games requiring exe files but will work as swfs - I don't know your game at all but just wondered if it might be worth testing it out like this?

Picture of Claire Browne

i cant get the game module to work in moodle 1.9.5.

has anyone else tried?

Picture of Alissa Parrish

We are interested in installing the game module in 1.9.5, but are wondering if it will work?

Plugin developers
It works. You can try it.
For questions and problem use the forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=7220

Will do!  Thanks!

I noticed that the Moodle Doc for configuring games is not complete.  Do you have some information to guide me?

Thanks,

Alissa

Picture of Douglas Edwards

I installed it and it seems to work OK. I tried the Hangman and Millionaire. The Hangman is good for learning terms, Millionaire seems to be a more fun way to give multiple choice quizzes.

Picture of Kerry Enns

I can't get the games to work.  With hangman, I just get a box with a bunch of numbers in it and a notice about 9 errors.  What am I doing wrong?

Plugin developers
Tell us the erros.

Picture of Toan Tran

Hello,
We are trying out the games module, and it seems to work fine, here are some issues we've found with it so far:

1. The crosswords puzzle would come up with "23 errors found", but then would generate the puzzle. This may not be a big deal.
2. This is a more serious issue. The navigation bar with the "previous/next/jump to" options, provided by the $menu variable in the header.html and footer.html, would be blank. Users who use the navigation bar in our site would be "stuck" when they get to this mod page.

I'm still learning Moodle, so I am not sure what the problem would be. We are using version 1.95

Thanks again for an excellent mod

Picture of Toan Tran

I think I found it.
I found two lines in the pagelib.php in the mod/game folder

//print_header($title, $this->courserecord->fullname, $crumbtext, '', '', true, $buttons, navmenu($this->courserecord, $this->modulerecord),false,$bodytags);
print_header($title, $this->courserecord->fullname, $navigation);

swapped the lines and the menu came up.

Thanks

Picture of janet abdoulaye

I am having trouble with the games in Moodle. My students have found that words and definitions are linking incorrectly in Hangman and the Crossword. In addition, even though there are up to 20 or 30 terms in the glossary, the games seem to pull the same 8 words over and over. Any suggestions/fixes for this?

Plugin developers
Install the last version

Picture of Clare Wallace
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holders
Dear Vasilis

Thank you for fixing the hangman game. We have trialled it with several classes (I offered yummy prizes for the first 10 to get to 100% in a game with 30 words) and they reported no problems. I appreciate your time and energy on this. It is the most useful application we are using at the moment and it is fantastic for EAL students.

Clare

Picture of Claire Browne

I cannot get the games to work in moodle.
I am running 1.9.5

Picture of janet abdoulaye

Our hosting service upgraded to the newest version. We still have the problem where the crossword only plays the same eight words over and over. Any suggestions to fix this?

Picture of Kerry Enns

This is what I get. I just installed the latest version.

Found 6 errors
Grade 0 %
Please wait while cross is loading

It just hangs here and the crossword doesn't work. Where do I look for the specific errors?

Picture of Kerry Enns

I've officially given up. I uninstalled and reinstalled the games module, but only had trouble. It kept saying that there were errors and I just can't get it to work properly.

Having said that, I'd really like to use it if someone has some advice about what I could be doing wrong.

Plugin developers
Please send me your glossary. Maybe there are spaces or special characters between words.
Go to http://bdaloukas.gr/moodle and try to play the crossword there. If you can't play, the problem is with your browser.
Can I see your moodle via internet to help you?

If the glossary was uploaded from a file was the character set to UTF-8?
That could cause problems.

Re: Re: Re: Games in moodle
Plugin developers
I think yes.

Picture of Kerry Enns

Good news. I checked the glossary and I hadn't allowed spaces between words. Several of my words had spaces so I guess that's what messed it up. Thanks for your offer of help.

Picture of Nichole Bryant
Re: Re: Games in moodle- using Server Question Banks

Hello!
First off, we LOVE big grin your games module. We teach a technical based subject and its very helpful for our adult population to use and get familiar with our new terms.

I noticed if you try to pull questions into it, it only allows you to choose the categories in the course and not from the whole site or the "System" Category.

Would this be a possible change to the module?

Thanks so much!

Re: Re: Re: Games in moodle- using Server Question Banks
Plugin developers
Thank you Nichole. Now in module Game you select the category of question in the same way as Moodle does. So you can select and system category.

Picture of derek reddy
Re: Re: Re: Games in moodle- using Server Question Banks

I#ve been trying to load this mod on my site but I keep getting a message saying my version is to old.
I have upgraded to 1.9.9+, so i don#t get it.
Do i need to change something in a php file?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Games in moodle- using Server Question Banks
Plugin developers
There are two version of Module. One for Moodle 1.9 and one for Moodle 2.
You tried to download the version for Moodle 2.0.
Pres "Download for Moodle 1.9"

Picture of derek reddy

Nope, I tried the 1,9 I also tried with 724,723 & 628, so I reckon there's something wrong with my moodle installation, but what Undecided

Picture of derek reddy

I think have solved tghe issue number but now get this

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 30146560) (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /homepages/0/d32108238/htdocs/elessons/admin/mnet/MethodTable.php on line 77

in admin

and the courses I get

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_record() on a non-object in /homepages/0/d32108238/htdocs/elessons/mod/game/lib.php on line 876

Picture of derek reddy

OK, so I purged the games file & relaoided it.

The games seem to work, just a quick look. But I am still getting this message in the notifications

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 30146560) (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /homepages/0/d32108238/htdocs/elessons/admin/mnet/MethodTable.php on line 77

What do I need to do ??

Picture of JARED MASSIC

So I am using Moodle 2.0 and in any of the games I cannot get pictures to appear inthe questions I have them in.  I can see the pictuers in the quizzes and when I go to the question bank and look at them, but not in the games.  Is this known by anyone, do I need an update?

Thanks,

Love the games

Jared

Picture of S Moodle

So I am using Moodle 2.0 and in any of the games I cannot get pictures to appear inthe questions I have them in.  I can see the pictuers in the quizzes and when I go to the question bank and look at them, but not in the games.  Is this known by anyone, do I need an update?

Pictures and fancy fonts don't work with the game module.  You'll want to create a game category in your glossary to deal with this.

Plugin developers

Nows pictures works in module Game on Moodle 2.

Is better to use this forum for questions and problems about the module Game.

Picture of Nick Anthis

Vasilis,

Excellent game(s), I must say.  I was playing with the crossword puzzle game today and ran in to an issue with some of my glossary terms.  I teach a computer science type course and some of the commands I teach start with a "-".  When I had those as words for the crossword puzzle, it didn't like it and marked them wrong.  Any way around this?

P.S.: Kalo Pasca.

Plugin developers

Nows words in crossword can contain -.

Is better to use this forum for questions and problems about the module Game.

Picture of Mel Ausman
Re: Re: Games in moodle won't install

I can't get the game module to install in 2.1.1 or 2.1.2.  It won't delete either.

Install: Numerous times I've tried the following-- removed all game files and db files and tried reinstall.  I've increased memory for php and max file sizes.  
All I get is a white screen.  I've done this in both Moodle installs listed above.  Get this error: race:

• line 429 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 460 of /lib/setup.php: call to print_error()
  • line 27 of /config.php: call to require_once()
  • line 43 of /admin/index.php: call to require()

Uninstall: remove all files and DB files.  Notifications still say it needs to be installed.

I've also set the game folder and all files inside to Permissions of 777.  When I log in as Admin it takes me immediately to Updating Plugins.

I've had requests from teachers for the game module.

Does anyone of any ideas?  I'm out!

WORST: NOW DONE OF THE CRONS WILL RUN. 

Re: Re: Re: Games in moodle won't install
Plugin developers

I sent you my skype name. Try to talk me (via chat) when you see me online to try together to find a solution with teamviewer and skype.

it's me
Core developersPlugin developers

Hi,

german language file has some bugs. Here the file with bugfixes. game/lang/de/game.php

Best regards,

David

Picture of Evelyn Laurito

I am trying to install games in moodle 2.2.3. I am getting a lot of error messages.

I have installed the games previously in moodle 2.2.2 and no problem here.

What can be wrong?

Picture of S Moodle

Hi Evelyn,

I use the games module extensively.  I'm upgrading to 2.2.3.  I'll report how the game module works when finished..

Stay tuned..

Plugin developers

Evelyn please give me more details (maube a printscreen) to fix the problem. I installed in a clean Moodle 2.3 without problem.

Picture of Bryan Ross

Hello,  to install to Version 2.3.1+, do I just need the games module for Moodle 2?  Is it the one that is found on the Moodle.org site?

Thank you in advance for your information!  I had it on my version 2.1, but lost it in the upgrade to 2.3.1. 

Thanks!

Bryan

Picture of Rob Johnson

The version posted in the old plugins database has been updated to work with 2.3.1.

Picture of italo enio

Please, thousands of people would love to have this fantastic plugin for Moodle 2.4 or 2.x ... Please! See you later!