Allow Instructors to make course available/unavaible DESPITE the admin setting

Allow Instructors to make course available/unavaible DESPITE the admin setting

by Clark Moodler -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

I was hoping that I, as admin, could leave a course category, such as "Fall 2008" with closed eyeball, and that instructors could manage if and when the course is available to students on their own in the course settings. This way, unused courses (we have lots of them since Banner sets up all courses with a shell automatically) would not be entered by students, as well as courses in development or that begin later in the term - until or unless the instructor opened it.

It turns out, instructors can do that, but only if the master category eyeball is open - which means every single course is open UNLESS an instructor goes into the settings and makes it unavailable.

So I guess my question is how I can leave the eyeball closed for Fall 2008 and let instructors determine if/when to open the course? I need some sort of override to the open/closing of the entire category of courses...

Is this possible by some setting in the roles permissions for teacher role? Also, where can I set it so instructors can edit the short name/long name of the course? I think this is currently turned off and I'm considering turning it on.

thanks!
clark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clark Moodler

Re: Allow Instructors to make course available/unavaible DESPITE the admin setting

by Steve Hyndman -

In 1.9 and 1.8 there is a setting in Site Administration/Front Page/Front Page Settings to allow visible courses in hidden cagegories. If you are using an earlier version, you can enable this in the config.php file.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: Allow Instructors to make course available/unavaible DESPITE the admin setting (I'm

by Clark Moodler -
Oh, right! Of course. I always wondered what that was. Now if I could just get it to stick.... it keeps resetting to being not checked, even after I check it and save. I'm in 1.8.4 btw.
thanks,
clark

In reply to Clark Moodler

Re: Allow Instructors to make course available/unavaible DESPITE the admin setting (I'm

by Steve Hyndman -

Humm...okay, well the following line is still in the default config file for 1.8. In previous versions you just uncommented it to get the same behavior. You may try adding the following line to your config.php file and see if that helps....also, make sure it's not already there and set to false...that could be why it's not sticking.

$CFG->allowvisiblecoursesinhiddencategories = true;

Steve