Resource types

Picture of Cheryl Young
Help! My boss wants to post narrated PowerPoints in our moodle

Dear friends,

Help! My boss wants me to post narrated PowerPoints to our moodle (1.8.3). I created a PowerPoint, did the narration (linking the audio files to the PPT, not embedding them), and uploaded the PowerPoint + audio files to the moodle. Of course there's no sound. What can I do?

Please help!!!!

Many thanks!

Cheryl

Average of ratings: -
Not a PHM :-)
Re: Help! My boss wants to post narrated PowerPoints in our moodle

The easiest (or one of the easiest) ways is to use a program like Camtasia to make a movie of your PowerPoint while narrating. Here is an example:

http://www.georgetownprofessor.net/gportfolio/file.php/235/Vod_casts/Taking%20words%20apart/Taking%20words%20apart.html

Note: If you hear chirping in the video, it's due to a compatibility issue between the latest version of Flash player and MP3 audio.

Steve

hobbes

I have not found the "pack and go" feature either. I've had a couple of ITEC people back here at my school district trying to solve this. One converted it to an iMovie, but the clarity wasn't good and I lost all the interactive buttons, of course. Any help on this one would really be appreciated.

Picture of John Gschnaidner

I been looking into a similar matter: PowerPoint is used in our company. Aside from availability it is known to most of my colleagues. I built a little VBA code to export a presentation into HTML and place it into a frame for SCORM. The frame also includes a function to embed a MP3 file for narration. But the export files tend to be rather big, because MS has a lot of garbage in those files.
Maybe it would turn out better with some comercial software.

Another, but more work intensive approach would be, to use WINK (screen recorder from debugmode.com) to capture your PowerPoint presentation. The output format is a shockwave. WINK allows for some interactivity (link buttons), sound and other. You could capture all actions from your PowerPoint and link the sequences together by those buttons.

I did it that way on some of my projects. As I said, work intensive, but the result is quite good. One plus for me was, that WINK is free of charge, because I have only a very small budget.

Picture of Nadav Kavalerchik
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
try VoiceThread.com
you can upload a pdf/presentaion and have a recorded note along side the pages
(other students/people can add voice notes too )

this is Tim Blackburn

There's Slideshare, which is a bit like VoiceThread. You can embed the code of the online presentation into Moodle like you can with Youtube videos etc. Also, if you want to do it yourself and turn Powerpoint slides into video, there's Camtasia (mentioned above) and Adobe Captivate (both expensive!), but there's a few free screen recording tools around, eg TipCam from Utipu.

Also, I've used the freebies from Microsoft....

Photostory (export your PPT slides as image files; import into Photostory, add narration over each slide, transitions, output as WMV)
Movie Maker (as above, but more complex)
Producer (add-on for Powerpoint, but use pre-recorded audio, outputs as WMV).

Hope that helps!

Picture of Nadav Kavalerchik
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
what's special about voicethread.com is that you upload the presentation and then you (or anyone) can narrate it later and draw on it too.
we use it the let pupils express their oral language skills - very useful !

we record tutorials in recordMyDesktop (we use linux) that is producing and video ogg file. very very helpful . see "using moodle tutorial" (in hebrew wink sorry)
(some times we convert it to swf and embed it into moodle [every where!] )

also, saving presentation in swf from OpenOffice Impress and then loading it into moodle . embedding them in the forums, activities and resources.

and last...
using autoview moodle's module - video/presentation on one side of the screen and a synch narrating/presentation on the other side.
(sameple: http://www.tikshuv.org.il/moodle/mod/autoview/view.php?id=848 )

David Day

Hi Cheryl

I have tried to do a similar thing putting up my narrated lectures using powerpoints (PPTs) I developed for face to face delivery ... there are a few approaches I would think of;

1) I think someone has already mentioned it, but you could export the slides to jpg's and then use a program like Microsoft Movie Maker or Microsoft PhotoStory to create a multimedia file - this produces quite large files but it is very easy to do..and its all free! You can use something like Audacity to create the audio mp3 or just use the inbuilt naration features of the programs.

2) You could go down the commercial software line and look at something like Articulate Presenter www.articulate.com which allows you to do all sorts of marvellous things like importing mp3s or using PPTs narration feature. Articulate creates Flash swf files and even nice HTML presentation frameworks - even SCORM if you wanted to go that way. I think at last look this software was around $450.

3) Maybe the good old 'ding' method might do the trick. You could upload a copy of the PPTs without narration attached and put a copy of PowerPoint viewer in your Moodle course to download, in case they don't have something else to view PPTs! Then also provide an mp3 with the narration and a 'ding' at the appropriate places for clicking on the slide presentation - cheap and cheerful!

4) I'm not 100% on this one... but recently when I was fooling around with narrated PPTs, I created a PPTs show (a pps file) and then uploaded it to Moodle as a resource and then when it was clicked it played back the slide show with narration. Again you'd need PowerPoint or the viewer to allow students to play this back.

Hope this helps some.

David Day :->

Picture of Cheryl Young

Dear all,

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I forgot to mention that my boss wants to produce 60-minute presentations - for example, a PowerPoint with 30 slides (approx. 2 minutes of narration per slide). That's why I can't do embedding - the final file would be 100+ MB! Some of the products suggested (e.g., WINK) appear to be suitable for very short presentations.

Also, am I correct in thinking that I need to upload a single file to the moodle? In other words, I can't upload one file for the presentation and another file with the narration - correct?

Thanks again!

smile

Cheryl

Picture of jen lae
Svar: Re: Help! My boss wants to post narrated PowerPoints in our moodle

Try Microsoft Producer 2003 for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003. I think it works great to capture and synchronize audio, video, slides, and images. Then use iPresent Presio 1.1 for flash format. Here's how: http://ipresent.net/support/tutorials/import_producer/index.html

Not a PHM :-)

I forgot to mention that my boss wants to produce 60-minute presentations - for example, a PowerPoint with 30 slides (approx. 2 minutes of narration per slide).

I hope he plans to hand out pillows so his viewers will be comfortable while they sleep smile

Steve

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Cheryl Young

I just found this on the Microsoft site:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint/HA010348231033.aspx?pid=CL100626991033

If you're saving your presentation on a floppy disk or CD-ROM, one way to ensure that your linked files go with you to the new computer is to use the Package for CD (PowerPoint 2003) or Pack and Go Wizard (PowerPoint 2002) feature.

I don't know if it works - I'm going to try it now!

Cheryl

Picture of Kellie Macneil

Hi Cheryl,

you have probably already found a solution for this, but one thing i've found useful is a program called iSpring http://www.ispringsolutions.com/  you can download ispring free for free and it will add a toolbar directly into powerpoint. 

If you record the narration in powerpoint from Slideshow>Record Narration then you press a publish button from the ispring tool bar it automatically creates a flash .swf file that you can add as a file into moodle.  I'm not sure how this will work file size wize so i'd be interested to hear back if this has been an adequate solution. 

I think a product called authorpoint lite will also do the same thing, create a swf file you can use, and authorstream will automatically upload it and stream it for you.  Both these products are from www.authorgen.com

At my work we're trying to find the easiest solution for this problem as well, so i'd be interested in any feedback on how these options go for people.

Cheers,

Kellie

Picture of Claire Fu
回复: Re: Help! My boss wants to post narrated PowerPoints in our moodle

Hi Cheryl,

As you said, there are three requirements what your boss need.
1. Moodle support.
2. Narration support.
3. Significantly reduce the file size for web sharing.

Many of these replied posts went to the different ways. Many of tools they suggested do not support moodle with SCORM protocol, such as ispring free, wink, and so on. With your requirements, you could try the second way what David suggested, try some commercial tools which could convert PowerPoint to Flash with SCORM/AICC compliance. Many of these conversion tools could significantly reduce the file size and keep the original PowerPoint narration, video, animations and transitions with SCORM/AICC compliance. There are three tools as I know, you could consider within your budget.
1. Adobe Presenter, $500.
2. Articulate Presenter, $700.
3. Wondershare PPT2Flash Professional, $199.95.

Hope it helps! Good Luck!

Claire