New Ungraded Assignments block released

New Ungraded Assignments block released

by Thomas Haines -
Number of replies: 23
Introducing...
Ungraded Assignments
Grade Your Assignments, Manage Your Workload

Created by the CCIU ERDTS Development Team, the Ungraded Assignments block for Moodle 1.9 and 1.8 displays assignment submissions that remain ungraded, featuring direct links to assignments and user profiles, and customizable settings. Visit the Modules and Plugins forum to download, and use this forum to discuss development and issues.

Please follow this link to download.

screenshot
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Thomas Haines

Re: New Ungraded Assignments block released

by Matt Campbell -
We've been using the notgraded block for about a year now, which is nice because it includes essay questions from quizzes. Your format looks a lot better and seems easier to understand, and is more compact. Is there any chance you could take a look and see what it would take to add essay questions to your block?

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Thomas Haines -
We actually just finished testing that feature, and will be updating the new version that looks for essay questions in a few minutes.

by Thomas Haines -
We have upgraded the block to support essay questions in quizzes. Please follow the link in the first post.

by Matt Campbell -
Much appreciated!

I notice that another change is the block configuration - teachers can give a different path for the block - is this so they can have different images for a particular course?

If so, could I ask for a couple things -

1. Change the language so that teachers will know that this is where they could define alternate images - they'd need to know what the names of the images are, also.

2. Could this possibly point to something higher than moodleroot/blocks? Perhaps moodledata, or even a directory selection in the course? (I'm asking for this so I won't be the one that has to keep track of what images they're using!)

Thanks,
Matt

by Thomas Haines -
i never thought of it to be used for that purpose, but it definitely could be. i added that configuration option to enable users to install the block in a directory other than blocks/ungraded_assignments. let me talk this over with some of my co-workers and get their opinion.

by Matt Campbell -
It's just that in a larger install, teachers wouldn't have access to Moodle core or the blocks directory, so I was worried that it wouldn't work if this was set. I started digging into it, and the only thing that I saw that was affected by it was the images, not the code itself.

Thanks,
Matt

by Matt Gibson -
A similar alternative, including journals, workshops and forums as well as assignments and essay questions is available here.

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the lovely block--nice design.

An unrelated question: What software did you use to create the screenshot with callout annotations?
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Laura Mikowychok -
Hi Don,
Thomas and I used the simple OS screenshot tool, then annotated them in Adobe Illustrator, saving as a PNG for the web.

Thanks for your post!

Laura Mikowychok
Contributor

by Geof Duncan -
Feature request...

Can the link for the Assignment "Multimedia Activities (Project)" link to the Main Submissions page? This was one of the features from the notgraded block, and I miss it in your block.

I've tried to hack around in the code, but, can't locate where the link is for the assignment title. Any help?

by Ben McLuckie -
This is a wonderful block for the busy teacher (me)! Thank you, thank you.

However, I am experiencing one strange behavior only for the assignment types "Upload a Single File" and "Advanced Uploading of Files". The block correctly lists the students only after they have successfully uploaded their file. Then I grade the assignments normally from the submissions page.

But then the block does NOT take the students off the "Ungraded Assignments" list even when the assignment is graded. Clicking "refresh" does nothing. At this point, my already graded list of "Ungraded Assignments" is quite long!!

Everything else works normally. For example, students are automatically taken off the list after I grade a Quiz essay question.

I am using Moodle 1.9.1+

by Ian Semey -
I've tried to install it by uploading it ot the blocks folder, and going to the admin page. The database installs fine, but when I insert it in a test course, where I have inserted a student, teacher and two assignments, I get the error lines:

Notice: Undefined variable: COURSE in /srv/.../moodle/httpdocs/blocks/ungraded_assignments/block_ungraded_assignments.php on line 56

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /srv/.../moodle/httpdocs/blocks/ungraded_assignments/block_ungraded_assignments.php on line 56

and the same for
- line 75
-
line 91
-
ine 118
-
line 137

and last

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /srv/.../moodle/httpdocs/blocks/ungraded_assignments/block_ungraded_assignments.php on line 210

My environment is:
moodle 1.9.3+ (20081126)
database mysql version 5.0.26
php version 5.2.5
php_extension iconv installed and enabled
php_extension mbstring installed and enabled
php_extension curl installed and enabled
php_extension openssl installed and enabled K
php_extension tokenizer installed and enabled
php_extension ctype installed and enabled
In reply to Ian Semey

Odp: Re: New Ungraded Assignments block released

by J Królikowski -
I have the same set of errors
Notice
: Undefined variable: COURSE in /home/woiz/ftp/moodle/blocks/ungraded_assignments/block_ungraded_assignments.php on line 56

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/woiz/ftp/moodle/blocks/ungraded_assignments/block_ungraded_assignments.php on line 56

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/woiz/ftp/moodle/blocks/ungraded_assignments/block_ungraded_assignments.php on line 75

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/woiz/ftp/moodle/blocks/ungraded_assignments/block_ungraded_assignments.php on line 91

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/woiz/ftp/moodle/blocks/ungraded_assignments/block_ungraded_assignments.php on line 118

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/woiz/ftp/moodle/blocks/ungraded_assignments/block_ungraded_assignments.php on line 137

moodle 1.9.4

please help!
In reply to J Królikowski

Re: Odp: Re: New Ungraded Assignments block released

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
i have the same issues and it is nothing serious, really.
(sure we can have the code updated a little bit...)

you can add $COURSE to the global list on line 42.
that's important.

the other warrnings (not errors) just come up when some of the block's instance's options are not set. (try to set them, when you click the "edit" icon on the block's header. just to see that the warnings are gone.)

don't you see the ungraded assignments when you click the little triangle icon ?
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

Re: Odp: Re: New Ungraded Assignments block released

by N Hansen -
I get other warnings when I go to the edit page:

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/site/public_html/blocks/ungraded_assignments/config_instance.html on line 7
Do not condense assignment list

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/site/public_html/blocks/ungraded_assignments/config_instance.html on line 15
Show assignments from users no longer enrolled in the course

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/site/public_html/blocks/ungraded_assignments/config_instance.html on line 23
Do not show quizzes in the list of ungraded work. This can improve performance on large sites.

Directory name for block /moodleroot/blocks
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/site/public_html/blocks/ungraded_assignments/config_instance.html on line 31

by Jeffrey Silverman -
Is this block still being actively maintained?

The latest version is $this->version = 2008051900;

From May of 2008!

"Maintain" as in "add new features" is not important to me; I'm more concerned about bugfixes as required, and the like.

Thanks!

by J.R. Morris -
Can this block work in a Meta Course setup to pull ungraded assignments from child courses to eliminate adding this block to each individual course?

Thanks,
J.R.

by Matt Ladwig -
I really like this Ungraded Assignments block. However, it does not seem to work for teachers that use the Lessons Tool.

by Claire Browne -

Does this block only show the group you are assigned to mark?

by Paul Baumeister -

I installed the block and it showed that it installed correctly the tables. I put the block in the course and it displays. However, it does not show quizzes that need to be scored. Our quizzes are automaticallly scored. Is that why it does not show? Also, it does not show when a discussion needs to be scored.

In reply to Paul Baumeister

by Patrick Lyne -

Yes I found the same problem with forum discussions.  I do however find this an excellent facility.

In reply to Patrick Lyne

by Miguel Santos -

Is it still a known issue that quizzes that have essay questions that need to be manually graded do not show up in the list of ungraded assignments?

In reply to Miguel Santos

Ungraded Essay Questions on Quizzes

by Ellen Kinsel -

I don't see a response to Miguel's question.

Does anyone know if this is working or not? We don't seem to be able to get a listing of quizzes with essay questions that need to be marked.