Cannot import grades when using a custom scale

Cannot import grades when using a custom scale

by Teresa Gibbison -
Number of replies: 3
My apologies if someone has already posted this - I couldn't find any others with this problem here.

I cannot import grades when I am using a Custom Scale. I have a scale with 3 items (Not Attempted, Attempted, Completed). These are the steps I have taken to import the grades:
  1. Graded one student
  2. Exported the file to CSV
  3. Altered the exported file to include the other student's grades
  4. Import the modified file
  5. Throw my hands in the air when reading the error message 'Supplied grade is invalid' angry
Attached is the error I am getting with other screen shots of the Custom scale and file import preview screen. I have found a temporary work-around as outlined below but that is not really ideal
  1. Change the grading in each Moodle assignment to be out of 3
  2. Alter the csv file to have the grades 1, 2 & 3 (3=being Completed; 2=Attempted & 1=Not Attempted)
  3. Import the file
  4. Change the grading in each Moodle assignment back to your custom scale
If anyone can help me or point me in the direction to vote for a Tracker issue to fix this I would appreciate it.

Cheers
Teresa
Attachment customScaleGradesErr.gif
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

Re: Cannot import grades when using a custom scale

by Matt Campbell -
I don't have an answer for you, Teresa - the only imports any of my instructors are doing right now are on a grade, not a scale. I did a little digging around in the code but I haven't had the chance to get to know it real well - I think it has something to do that you're using any scale with the import, rather than a custom scale specifically.

Would you check to see if this is happening only with custom scales, or if it happens also with the scales built into Moodle?

Once you've done that, file a bug in the tracker and post it here.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Matt
I've tested this using the numeric scale and can import no problems. I also tested this using the standard Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory scale and came across the same issue.

I've created MDL-14840 in relation to this.

Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Michael McDermott -

I have exactly the same issue.

Set a scale as Pass, Fail, Distinction etc.

Try to upload these grades from csv and it is not possible, Upload 1,2,3 etc, and it will come out as Pass, Fail, Distinction. That causes confusion.

The grades in the CSV file need to be exactly the same as they appear in the course. Obviously if a grade has not been set up in the scale, it should not then be possible to upload it.
Any help would be greatfully received.
Mike McDermott