What about ActiveDisk?? - In search of Floyd Collins

What about ActiveDisk?? - In search of Floyd Collins

by W Page -
Number of replies: 7
Hi Floyd,

Thought you could "groove" on this.

I see on your site that the Moodle installer programs are USB compatible.

What about creating an
ActiveDisk compatible program of Moodle? ActiveDisk is a ZIP (Iomega) technology which allows a program to be run from a ZIP drive on any computer. OpenOffice and Trillian can now be run from ActiveDisks (the links are below). I know of no other educational CMS, LMS or VLE which is run on ActiveDisk. I believe Moodle would be the first. Also, it could be advertised on the Iomega site for free.

Being that you have set up the
Moodle installer site I humbly request that you to check it out and see if you think it is a worthwhile thing for you and some of the other folks who worked on installer packages for Moodle to get involved in. wink smile big grin

Hope you decide to take this on.

WP1

These are some of the important links FYI.

ActiveDisk - Home
http://www.iomega-activedisk.com/landing.jsp

Welcome to the
ActiveDisk Developer Site.
http://developer.iomega-activedisk.com/index.jsp

Some examples of other
ActiveDisks

OpenOffice
http://www.iomega-activedisk.com/servlet/moonshine/goto?page_url=/titles/title_detail.jsp&title_id=153

Trillian
http://www.iomega-activedisk.com/servlet/moonshine/goto?page_url=%2Ftitles%2Ftitle_detail.jsp&title_id=87

Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: What about ActiveDisk?? - In search of Floyd Collins

by Floyd Collins -

WP I would certainly take you up on this challenge but I dont even own a Iomega Zip drive anymore. I have no use for it due to DVD burner and Cheep CD/RW. Sorry man but I will have to pass.

In reply to Floyd Collins

by W Page -
Hi Floyd,

Thanks for responding.

I will try to see what is neccessary for a Developer to provide or do to get an ActiveDisk created.

Many of the schools are just getting around to installing  Zip drives.  Usually 250MB.  Also some older computers have ZIP drives an no CD burner drives.  Having this ability to use Moodle directly from a ZIP drive just adds to Moodle's availabilty and ease of use for many who do not have access to burner CDs but do have access to ZIP drives.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
The Iomega Active disk technology is not related to ZIP-drives, but to all Iomega storing devices wich are Active disk compatible.
In reply to koen roggemans

Re: What about ActiveDisk??

by W Page -
Thanks Koen for the additional information and clarification,

I see that "Active Disk Compatible Devices" are considered,
  • Zip Drives and Disks
  • Iomega HDD Hard Drives
  • Iomega Mini USB

I have not been able to fully asses the SDK package yet. Will try to do so later this evening or this weekend.

Just wondering if I can utilize the installation packages created by Floyd and others on Floyd's site to create a Moodle site on an Active Disk - ZIP Disk. Should work on any brand ZIP disk, I think??? thoughtful

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Floyd Collins -
WP
I went to the computer store today and got a Zip drive, I will try to get something going in the net day or so. I am sure we can make something work

In reply to Floyd Collins

by W Page -
Hi Floyd!

I am very appreciative of that as I am sure other Moodlers will be.  But, I did not want you to go to any personal expense to do this.  If I was aware that you did not have a ZIP drive I would not have asked you about it.

Thank you

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Floyd Collins -

No biggie, I wanted to try this out and hey I needed a new toy,,, as the wife calls my addiction to computers. 

I am close to being done, in the final testing right now.